Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Buick] Twin turbo set up on a Buick V6?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
I was offering a solution to the below problem. I wasnt being smart, a 2jz with aT56 would be awesome power, reliably.

Then this guy said this. Which i see as a stupid comment, becasue if he is talking about the power of my car, it would blow away his VY s pack. So he is no position to give me stick about that lol. And for his info, i used to own a 2jz turbo supra, which is why i was offering the above advice.

Real woman would.......

:hmmm: Thought this thread was about what turbos to use on his V6 Buick, not "a jap 6 or gnarly #### off huge V8" or "a 2j with a T56 strapped to the side".

So back on topic.

some_guy are you saying in a round about way, that Bronzilly should use the turbos from a 2jz on his Buick V6?

Bronzilly try searching for IBlown's twin turbo VS for ideas.

My 2cents would be an appropriate sized single turbo :spot on:

:beer chug:

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Your obviously not up with the fact that a thread can move slightly from the first title.

A twin turbo setup on a Buick in my opinion is either a lot of custom fabrication - or an expensive performance shop job.
For power that could be made easier in other turbo six avenue's.
Let alone the reliability factor, using a standard NA motor, without forged internals will never be able to hold big boost reliably.
So your either left on 8psi with the power big biting or your rebuilding a motor after you've blown it up.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
So much false info in this thread from people who do not know!
I've been told that I possibly won't get as much power out of it that I'm aiming for and could be really dissapointed.. maybe stick with one? hmm..
What power level are you looking for? Bet a set of even the smallest twins could make enough boost before hitting the chock point to smash the guts of your engine apart.
Twin or single makes no difference with boost, 10psi is 10psi. Things like spool behaviour, shift characteristics (esp if a manual), space constraints, etc are more the issue comparing the two.
single will be easier and cheaper aswell!!
Cheaper, maybe.
Easier, nope.
Ever tried to plumb a single setup on a V config engine?
One lot of inefficiency will always be easier to deal with than 2. Big single that's well set up will smash it every time
What inefficiency?
A well setup twin setup on a small capacity engine would smash a large single everyday of the week.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Yeah strike your not wrong.

Turbo choice is dependent upon what your looking for out of the motor in terms of how the power is delivered.

I wouldn't say a sequential twin on a v motor is easier than a single. A true twin however, would be simpler

But in saying that it isn't that hard to rig up a crossover pipe for a single setup on a v motor.

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
So much false info in this thread from people who do not know!

Cheaper, maybe.
Easier, nope.
Ever tried to plumb a single setup on a V config engine?
no, i've never tried to fit a turbo to a V config. however being in an older model with lots of space i cant see it being that hard! obviously some people have the skills to make it easier then others ie welding/fab work so to some it would be more of a challenge. there are off the shelf manifolds for the v6 to make this part of the process easier aswell. i just see a single as easier! with intercooler piping, oil/coolant lines/intake etc...

twins would make the same power as a single on a 3.8l and even make the boost slightly quicker aswell, so i agree with airstrike there.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Sarcasm is lost without face to face contact. He's up next time throw in a /sarc that way we all stay friends : )

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Yeah strike your not wrong.

Turbo choice is dependent upon what your looking for out of the motor in terms of how the power is delivered.

I wouldn't say a sequential twin on a v motor is easier than a single. A true twin however, would be simpler

But in saying that it isn't that hard to rig up a crossover pipe for a single setup on a v motor.
No one rigs up a sequential, lol.
I just hate the placement of large singles on the V6's right infront and central, looks so untidy and the plumbing is less then ideal.

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
No one rigs up a sequential, lol.
I just hate the placement of large singles on the V6's right infront and central, looks so untidy and the plumbing is less then ideal.

Yep, they need to be on the side! Preferably with the cross over behind the engine!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
It's how the single V8 brigade do it.............but V6 owners just like being different then them simply for the sake of being different.