Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Twin Turbo

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Majesticknights said:
also throughout the week i spotted a diffrent type of twin turbo. this was in a mazda sedan drag car, it has a small turbo feeding into a massive turbo like a truck one it was that big and this car can almost wheelstand the whole drag strip.

i was looking at this config but i will go the most cost effective in terms of power for $ has anyone seen this turbz setup the little one runs from idle to bout 5800rpm and then the big one takes charge

what do u think of this and would it be the better option?
that is a sequential setup you are talking about there. i once saw in a magazine a rail that was running an RB30 with the same setup. the only problem i can see with them is sufficient intercooling. for a V8 though, if you do your maths right, you should be able to have two evenly sized turbo's, without having to worry about excessive lag. then on the other side of the coin, you could look at a centrifugal supercharger setup, there have been a few big prochargers installed onto cars here in oz recently and they are capable of supporting big power. thats the way i would go.

Majesticknights

The Dark Prince
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL HDT Calais Wagon Brock 346 stroker
i have thought about supercharging however i love the kick of the turbos when they spool out. also i would like to have the ability to just cruise around to and with a turbo it wont fang unless i flog it and as a supercharger is constantly running i wont have that freedom

ccclv

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
you would have that freedom with a centrifugal supercharger.

there centrifugal, similar characteristics to a turbo, except not as much heat...

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
There are a few guys over on street commodores with twin turbo 5 liters, no one on this site has one as far as I know :|

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Sounds good mate, should go well. GT35's will suit it perfectly but it will be costly. I am going with a single turbo on a 253, dont know what sort of power

I am going to end up with, but I looked at twins and my costs almost doubled. The idea of a smaller and bigger turbo could be good. Ive seen a V8

run a supercharger and single turbo. When it was at low RPM the supercharger provided the boost and they worked together at high RPM. Sort of the same principal.

Anyway, make sure to keep us posted.
Steve.

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
the sequential idea is the way to go, even subaru used this idea on the liberty B4 twin-turbo...