Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre noise?

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
Took the car back in and they are adamant that the noise is tyre noise , I really didnt expect any different - these guys seem very uninterested....

I will now be taking my car to another mechanic (not associated with Holden) and get his opinion - his diagnosis will determine my next course of action.

Drove down to Sydney yesterday , car droning all the way , to say I am somewhat agitated about this is an understatement.

To top it all off , this morning on the way to work , i scraped my beautiful unblemished alloy turning a corner to sharply/carelessly , damage to rear left wheel substantial.....

currently walking around the office with a head like a beaten favourite.....

Just a thought, don't know if it would help; but maybe put it on a dyno and you may be able to listen in and out of your car at different speeds and load. I don't know too much about dyno's, but it maybe an option! Definatelty sounds like you need a good mechanic who cares about solving your dilema. (hard to find sometimes)

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
you know what your problem is, you own a VE. It's the noise of the road telling you to get off it, along with the 1000000 other VE 'look at me' drivers out there

Can't afford a VE? Keep saving mate, one day you can drive a nice car too :beer chug:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Took the car back in and they are adamant that the noise is tyre noise , I really didnt expect any different - these guys seem very uninterested....

I will now be taking my car to another mechanic (not associated with Holden) and get his opinion - his diagnosis will determine my next course of action.

Drove down to Sydney yesterday , car droning all the way , to say I am somewhat agitated about this is an understatement.

To top it all off , this morning on the way to work , i scraped my beautiful unblemished alloy turning a corner to sharply/carelessly , damage to rear left wheel substantial.....

currently walking around the office with a head like a beaten favourite.....

1. If it were my car I would just replace the front wheel bearings and see how it goes. It is not that expensive to do.

2. If the noise persists then it is most likely the tyres. If you want to then investigate further then go to a tyre dealer where you bought the tyres and get them to fit a pair of used tyres to the front in a different brand(preferably Bridgestone) and test it out for noise.

For what it is worth I always fit Bridgestone performance tyres to my cars because after 20 plus years of experience with this brand I have NEVER had any issues with them and have always achieved good mileage from them.
I recently fitted some Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001 and found them to be a very quiet tyre - much quieter than the original factory fitted Bridgestones fitted to my Commodore S pack. They were also very reasonably priced for what you get.

My advice is to stick to a quality Bridgestone performance tyre and you will not have problems. GMH don't fit this brand to their higher end models by accident.

Calvin8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I have a VE Berlina and have the same problem with the tyres, very noisy on rough surface and quieter on smoother surface. I also would have sworn it was a bearing, though the noise changes depending on the surface.

The original tyres, Bridgestones, were fine till about 15,000 K's and these latest Hankooks were okay till about 20,000. Both just seemed to get worse as they aged. I would also appreciate advice on what tyre to next replace these with.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
I have a VE Berlina and have the same problem with the tyres, very noisy on rough surface and quieter on smoother surface.

Sorry to revive this old thread, i found it pop up on a search.

I have the new Goodyear Asymmetric 2's on my VE and i have the same issue as you describe. On smooth roads they are so quiet you'd think your floating on air but when the earth gets more coarse all hell breaks loose. It can be so loud that it drives you crazy. Considering the noise changes with the road surface it cannot be a wheel bearing.

It just pisses me off that reviews and media state these tyres are quiet but on a VE with the majority of our roads they are terrible. That tramline like a mother ####er too.

So if your considering these tyres i would leave them alone.

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
Search sent me hear but the thread is old.

Last edited: