Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre Opinions

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
mate of mine had a hsv clubsport one of the first ones vn style
he had pirrelli p600's that didnt even last 12000k maybe it was the camber of the sus but they scrubbed out all the time even after getting the camber set back to normal specs.
but hey i didnt buy them so i didnt care but they handled really well in the dry and wet as for dirt well what can i say i havent found a tyre that handles dirt yet

P

Phil

G'day everyone,

Thanks to those members who replied to this topic. I too have done a little research and found the Dunlop Sport 3000A (New model) could be quite good for commodores.

The Dunlop 3000A's are fitted to the Ford BA XR8's in 235/45/17 size. I have spoken to a few people that have said they are wearing very nicely and provide a nice feel on the road. Suspension etc contribute to the overal handeling but the BA XR8 series are heaver cars than my SS so it will be interesting to see.

The tyre also looks nice!!!... hehe

Cheers all,

Phil

TheLucksta

Reaction score
I've got Bridgstone G-Grid's and they handle nice and don't wear out very quikly. However, they are bloody noisy bastards!!!! They sound like a dodgy wheel bearing noise (And yes, my wheel bearings are fine).

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I got hankook k104's on my rims when i got them about a year ago, they are still holding up quite nicely. only done about 10 thousand on them though. Silica based and they just kick ass

Handling in the wet, well, they are nearly as good as what they are in the dry, the first night out in the wet with them I was swerving around etc. In the dry it makes it hard for me to get chirpage/ spinnage through the gears.. Either my old tyres were bad or these are good, but nothing but grip.. Road noise I'd say they are exceptionally quiet.

Price I'm not sure about, I think it was 200 something per tyre.
I highly recommend them.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Good topic here - I love the old Bridgestone Potenzas, quiet and durable which is more than I can ask for. Grip nicely too, somtimes too nicely, not as good in the wet thow, but hardly see any of that rain stuff down im Melb anyway
Tyre life, well I've only driven about 15-20,000 in them so far they seem to be maybe a 1/3 into their life?

Pirellis are nice too but a bit pricey for me to buy new, had a set of them once secondhand ones on the front and they were grippy... felt like I was a Ferrari driver.

Also had Continettal tyres, they are a bit rarer than some other brands, they gripped well too and are meant to be awesome in the wet, but were a bit expensive for pretty much an unknown manufacturer. As you can see I never budget much money for tyres which is not smart as they should be one of your highest priorities.

I have had retreads on my car once and you can feel how bad these grip at higher speeds (110+) I guess they must heat up a lot quicker. Cheap but also can be dangerious if your driving style tends to be a bit on the wilder side, but good value if you have a big wheels and do a lot of driving.

D

d hsv

I've got Falken ZE-326 (235/452R17)

They grip like glue, but they're not so great in the wet. Road noise isn't too bad, and they look ok!

I'm going to have to get new tyres soonish, so this topic's pretty interesting for me...

BTW, what are the number? Like 235 what and 452 what. The R17 is inches obviously, and one is obviously width... What are the other ones?

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE (d hsv @ Mar 11 2004, 10:39 AM) I've got Falken ZE-326 (235/452R17)

They grip like glue, but they're not so great in the wet.  Road noise isn't too bad, and they look ok!

I'm going to have to get new tyres soonish, so this topic's pretty interesting for me...

BTW, what are the number?  Like 235 what and 452 what.  The R17 is inches obviously, and one is obviously width... What are the other ones?
Mine are Dunlop SP Sport 200E

225/50/R16 95V

225= Width in mm
50= The height, profile or Aspect Ratio of the tyre, being 50% of sectional width of the tyre at the correct pressure.
R= Radial
16=Diameter of tyre 16"
95= Load Rating 1521 pound or 689.9kgs
V= Speed Rating 240kph or 149mph

To understand the tyre speed rating

S= 180 km/h or 112 mph
T= 190 km/h or 118 mph
U= 200 km/h or 125 mph
H= 210 km/h or 130 mph
V= 240 km/h or 149 mph
W= (ZR) 270 km/h or 168 mph
Y= (ZR) 300 km/h or 186 mph
ZR= Above 240 km/h or 149 mph

Hope that helps, even I learnt something new chasing up some of that info

Cheers

Jake

seabs

Reaction score
Website
seabrook.homemail.com.au
Members Ride
Gen F R8 SV
thanks OSL-060 for that tyre info, always wondered about the "95h" etc...

iv got pirelli p-zero's on the front (235/40/18) and they are great in wet and dry, then on the back iv got bridgestone potenza's (235/40/18) and they are getting a bit low on tread (60%) but they still grip soooo well in the wet! i love those tyres!

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
I've got Bridgestone Turanza ER50 S&S 215 X 60/R15 95V Dual layer tread single direction. Fantastic tyres even at 50% worn.

At work we use Turanza ER30's 225 X 60s. Not a bad wearing tyre. They handle lights and bells alright.

I know they're not that sporty a tyre but they both actually do the job well.

I've gotten 60,000 out of mine and I don't drive like a granny. I just know how to drive and make a big investment last.