Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre Report - 3rd set after 55,000 km.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Just replaced a set of Continental SportContact 6 with Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 K117 yesterday. The Conti on 19" were very good tyres but wore down to the tyre markers after 25,000 km. The original Bridgestone RE050 on 20" still have a bit left but I kept them for spares as they are too noisy, hard and heavy. I were a bit dubious about the Hankook tyres on the 19" but after the initial driving, they are far better than the Bridgestone on 20". Couldn't fault the Conti on 19", except the costs, rear 275/30R19 is $455 each. The rear tyres always wear out quicker as they can't be rotated to the front which are 245/40R19. The Hankook is on special - buy 3 get the 4th free. A set of them with wheel alignment is $984. Nearly half of the price of Conti 6. It hasn't rained here yet, so I don't know how the Hankook behaves in the wet. Will update this when it happens. Did a bit of research on the Hankook, apparently Mercedes and Audi are using them as factory supplied tyres. Hope you members find this useful.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
That's 'good to know' info!
I have 28,000kms on the factory Bridgestone's, still plenty of wear left, but bugger all grip anymore.
Was thinking Michelin PS4S replacements, but might check out the Hankook's.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I hear Michellin are the best but pricey and they wear quick.
I heard good things about those Hankooks.

My factory Potenzas have done about 35 000km and probably have another 10 000 - 15 000km left in them...

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
Just replaced a set of Continental SportContact 6 with Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 K117 yesterday. The Conti on 19" were very good tyres but wore down to the tyre markers after 25,000 km. The original Bridgestone RE050 on 20" still have a bit left but I kept them for spares as they are too noisy, hard and heavy. I were a bit dubious about the Hankook tyres on the 19" but after the initial driving, they are far better than the Bridgestone on 20". Couldn't fault the Conti on 19", except the costs, rear 275/30R19 is $455 each. The rear tyres always wear out quicker as they can't be rotated to the front which are 245/40R19. The Hankook is on special - buy 3 get the 4th free. A set of them with wheel alignment is $984. Nearly half of the price of Conti 6. It hasn't rained here yet, so I don't know how the Hankook behaves in the wet. Will update this when it happens. Did a bit of research on the Hankook, apparently Mercedes and Audi are using them as factory supplied tyres. Hope you members find this useful.
I have the same model Hankooks on the rear, so far so good with 9000km on them. Not bad wet or dry so bang for your buck wise good value in my opinion. Bridgestone RE050's on the front have 32 000km on them with about 1/3 tread left.

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
JDid a bit of research on the Hankook, apparently Mercedes and Audi are using them as factory supplied tyres. Hope you members find this useful.

Not in their western markets like the USA and not on their performance cars for memory.

Michelin is their preferred OEM for performance cars.

The brands they fit depends on the market the vehicle is sold in.

I don't believe they are fitted to Australian models.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
I hear Michellin are the best but pricey and they wear quick.

Everything I've heard and experienced with Michelins is that they are one of the most long-wearing brands. Always provided you don't drive like a lunatic, of course.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
ps3 lasted decently on an awd wagon that got thrown into every corner. probably 30k km with front to back rotations. average at the end of life but so sticky during could get a wheel off in a certain corner. maxxis before were terrible and they seemed better than the potenza that replaced them.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
New tyres have "warmed up" after few days' driving, so I tried a few fast corners. They are as good as the Conti 6 and very low tyre noise. I were surprised the 19" is cheaper than the 20", despite some people say that 20" are more common so the tyres should be cheaper, also just mention that the buy 4 pay 3 offer ends this month at Jax. The Hankook is really bang for the bucks, even if they wear out same as the Conti at 25000 km.

Ryan_044

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VFII Redline A6
I posted in another thread but also replaced the 19 inch rears on my vf ii redline with the hankook ventus s1 evo 2 about a couple of months ago (lasted about 40,000ks) and very impressed compared to the stock bridgestones! I haven't changed the fronts yet as they still have a decent amount of tread on them but think i will soon as the front now feels kind of "floaty" with the tyres mixed.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Wanted to say how well appointed these cars are. Took the ute through some twisties last night and it was a dream, rwd grip is so rewarding at telling you limits and most issues were only where the suspension is too stiff for a sharp but not flat corner so you feel a wheel barely touching. pretty well stock car power and brake level was perfect for maximising speed when possible and enough brakes to get ready for the corner. Even the electric steering works well at doing what you tell it without any real feedback. I honestly felt as fast through the corners as my previous small and low turbo awd wagon and while non turbo powerband doesn't throw you back its so linear its easily as fast at any point with less gearchanges. Like I said the rwd feedback is nice compared to the awd never feeling at its limit and not cornering well lets you know with the wrestle to keep it planted