Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres and braking performance

H

harrop.senator

Always had quality tyres on front & less fussed about rears as long as they were legal lol

Yeah know the feels. I have pirelli p1s on the front of my Caprice has 350 rwhp and a short tight diff. And has had four pairs of what was laying around the shed on the rear in the three months I've owned it lol. As long as it brakes and turns your right foot controls the rear. Never seen the importance of excessive rear grip unless I'm actually putting times down.

Favourite front tyres hands down were my old toyo t1s. Almost gripped as much as the t1r semi slick and the Westlake rs but mint as cold.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
96. 60 bucks wtf? Can't get them under 110 in Launceston

H

harrop.senator

Fitted n balanced this is loose a good day put at drift is 3-6 pairs pending hp. Going through that many gets you deals . I can get 265 35 18 semi slicks at 90 ea lol. If you can fit em as I don't even bother ringing shops.theirs always supply only deals on fb , gumtree and word of mouth.

Theirs a guy over here that does atrs in a 235 45 17 for $65 to anyone on gumtree and China as ones for $55 lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pretty sure i will get 2 more Champs before winter. Unless i decide on some Kumhos. Like a few have mentioned reviews seem to be strange at best. But trying to truly find a decent tyre within 120 to 130 budget is really hard without being able to test them yourself. So many mixed reviews even on forums. Probably gonna come down to expecting very little and hopefully be pleasantly surprised....

H

harrop.senator

Champs are great man. My favourite tyres used to be kumho but theyre a bit pricey now. Ku31 was my favourite Street/performance budget tyre ever but last time I got a admiral? Think it is whatever the brand kumho puts they're tread pattern too once they phase it out and was $125 fitted for a 225 50 16 but had 4 1000km old ones on car I brought when a sidewall went Froman internal fracture while I was in nz and lent my Ute to the cuzzy so just gritted my teeth n paid it haha.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm happy with the Champs. Just not real keen on getting them from the same place. Just don't know who else sells them. As you know the major retailers don't AFAIK.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looking online and it seems the new Champ UHP are now 96W.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Champs are great man. My favourite tyres used to be kumho but theyre a bit pricey now. Ku31 was my favourite Street/performance budget tyre ever but last time I got a admiral? Think it is whatever the brand kumho puts they're tread pattern too once they phase it out and was $125 fitted for a 225 50 16 but had 4 1000km old ones on car I brought when a sidewall went Froman internal fracture while I was in nz and lent my Ute to the cuzzy so just gritted my teeth n paid it haha.

Admiral were made my Kumho, but have since been re-branded Kumho......Yes the KU 31 was a very popular tyre, but unfortunately it got extremely noisy when it started to feather.....It has since been replaced with a HS51, which seems to be as popular as the ku31, without the associated noise

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just to clarify I wanted a higher load rating if possible. I carry loads and not wanting it for traction as I can't see why I would think that a higher load rating mean I think it's better traction???? Also for the person who was at the tyre shop and had the run around there I think I would know if the bloke was a clown or not, just saying I'm not stupid and yes the bloke was a clown. 1) when questioned about load ratings I questioned it because the fronts were a 96 and the new rears a 92. 2) the bloke told me I someone had removed the tyre placard and that is why he didn't know the required rating. 3) the salesman told me it was my fault he ordered 92s because he went by what was on the car already. Hmmmm strange that because he never checked the tyres on the car at the time of ordering. Most of this I have already explained above. To me the bloke selling the tyres should know what is suited to the car, or is that up to me to know????? I go to KTAS and they seem to know all about tyres yet this other place I went to knew nothing.... go figure... Yes your right 92 is ok but it is the min requirement I would have liked to have had a 94 had the bloke discussed the minimum rating and told me some options it might have been a whole different story and had he explained it to me I probably would have been fine with 92s..... But that's right you were a fly on the wall inside the tyre shop when I was there and everything I have said is BS....

The load rating comment I made was associated to all the chat relating to upping the load rating on a new set of tyres, and wanting traction...Hence why I said what I did.

As for the different load ratings front to rear....Strangely enough, I have struck the same brand, pattern and sized tyres that have different load ratings.....Bloody stupid yeah, but it is like that.

99% of the time, when your the dick behind the counter ordering tyres, you ring the supplier asking for how ever many of a particular size and don't say squat about load ratings, UNLESS you are familiar with certain vehicles that have different load rated tyres for particular models. In this instance, with your car, I personally wouldn't ask about the load rating of the tyre I'm ordering, because I'd know the load rating would be correct for your car.

Am I saying what you have mentioned is BS...NO.....I'm just that dick behind the counter and fitting machine that deals with internet knobs , that don't know a great deal about tyres....And am I referring to you...NOPE

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Priced up Champs at another place and he wants 135 each. Might have to go back to where I got the others.