Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tyres for VYII Calais 225/50/17" ... recommendations?

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
time for new tyres on my VYII 2004 Calais, it's got original 17" Alloys.

I'm considering Bridgestone Turanza ER300 or the new Adrenaline RE002, or Toyo C1S.

As I don't punish my tyres, and don't do lotsa kms, I'm looking for medium performance tyres that are good in the wet, and not too noisy.

Welcome any suggestions on what other people have put on their 17" wheels....
What people like, or what they'd avoid?

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
I'd get 235/45R17. Much more common size (especially in performance tyres) so it's usually cheaper.

I have the RE001 on 16", as good in the wet as the ER30 that were on previously, much better in the dry, quiet. My next tyres will be RE002...

H Bomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
I got your exact rims on the VYII Calais, we got the Bridgestone ER300 and they have been pretty good. Low road noise, pretty good in the wet and pretty good wear too. I just made sure I got a premium on car balance and full wheel alignment every 10-15000kms, they havent scrubbed the inside out much either like they tend to do on the rears.
They were also quite cheap, about 139 ea I think, and they are the factory size that was on there which I think is the 225/50. Just got them at KTAS.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
I'd get 235/45R17. Much more common size (especially in performance tyres) so it's usually cheaper.

I have the RE001 on 16", as good in the wet as the ER30 that were on previously, much better in the dry, quiet. My next tyres will be RE002...

I agree with TMM.

I also have the Bridgestone RE001 (on 17 inch rims - 235/45/17). Like TMM I have found them to be very good tyres (as well as quiet) for city and highway running and reasonably priced for what you get, which is a quality product. The Re002 has now superseded the RE001 . If they have improved the RE001 with this new re002 release then you could not go wrong

In the past I have found Bridgestone performance tyres to be very well made and have never had any balance or other problems with them such as you will get with many lesser brands.

Cannot comment on Toyos.