Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres?

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Motor Magazine 2012 Tyre Test

"With testing undertaken at Sydney’s Eastern Creek Raceway, V8 Supercar driver, stunt driver and driving instructor Warren Luff was behind the wheel of a MY12 Mitsubishi Evolution X MR, putting nine 245/40R18 size high performance road tyres through their paces.

The tyres were tested in four separate challenges – Figure Eight Road Circuit, Wet Skidpan, Dry Slalom and Emergency Braking – with scores averaged across three attempts for each.

Silver Medal for Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT also polled extremely well in the 2012 MOTOR Magazine Tyre Test, taking out the Silver Medal and being dubbed “a smart choice for all round capability” by the magazine.

Overall MOTOR Magazine Tyre Test results
1Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
2 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT
3 Toyo Proxes T1 Sport
4 Kumho Ecsta LE Sport
=5 Maxxis Victra MA-21
=5 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo
7 Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002
8 Duro DP-8100 "

Source: Gold Medal for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

I don't understand how they can't include Michelin or Pirelli in the tyre test, but can include some of that other crap. They are probably the only 2 brands that I would buy.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Edit: Should read Thailand, not Indonesia)

Need your opinion!

Are Bridgestone Potenza Tyres made in Indonesia the same as Japan?

I was looking at my new tyres and for some unknown reason they just didn't look right!

I checked the original OEM Bridgestone that is now the "spare", it says made in Japan.

These new tyres I have say made in Indonesia.

Are they the same tyre?

How to include a brand new spare to get more mileage.

I've read the Owners manual for the VE sedan, page 7-4, 7-5, 7-6. There is a diagram of how to rotate but the spare is not included.
The text says (page 7-6):
New tyres should be fitted in pairs to the front.
If replacing only one tyre, it should be paired on the same axle with the least worn of the other three.

This text, plus the rotation diagram, plus the fact that I think the tyres are directional leaves me a bit confused.

The VE 60th Anv Commodore came fitted with 18 inch alloys and POTENZA RE050A 245/45R18 96V tyres which are quite expensive.

How do I include the full size spare (same tyre and wheel as above) into the tyre rotation plan?
This may seem an odd question but bare with me.
At the 15,000k service the dealership didn't introduce the spare tyre into the rotation; the full spare is sitting as it did the day I bought the car back in May 2008.
My next service is due May 2010; the tyres on the car have worn evenly and probaly lost about 50% tread.

From what I've read the tyres have to be rotated in a certain pattern and this may have been ok when thetyres were a bit newer but now that they are worn, I'm unsure where to fit the brand new tyre.

If I fitted it to the left or right of the rear axle then I wouldn't need to have the new wheel balanced, if I fit it to the front end I'll need to have it balanced.

Having several options, I don't know the correct option; I don't want to wait for another 6 and a half moths before including this new tyre.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Last edited:

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Need your opinion!

Are Bridgestone Potenza Tyres made in Indonesia the same as Japan?

I was looking at my new tyres and for some unknown reason they just didn't look right!

I checked the original OEM Bridgestone that is now the "spare", it says made in Japan.

These new tyres I have say made in Indonesia.

Are they the same tyre?

Bridgestone have 47 tire plants around the world. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Edit: Should read Thailand, not Indonesia)

Cheers

They look like seconds!

I checked my original spare, the sidewall definition looks clean, clear and crisp, the new Indonesian tyres look like re-treads.
(Obviously they're not but they look like they have skin tags from and over-used mould!

When a bloke looks at his car pretty often a person gets to notice stuff, and..... I just thought these new tyres didn't look like the originals, I took images of the originals when I purchsased my car and to be honest I'm a bit concerned because these new tyres aren't the same.

Bit concerned that's all.

Plenty of you guys know about tyres but I always thought Bridgestone was made in Japan. I too have checked Wikipedia and also contacted Garth Middleton but surely dealers have the obligation to tell you where the tyres are made!

I want Japanese tyres not Indonesian crap!.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Japanese made products are one of the best if not the best in the world. The original Turanza spare on my VE was also made in Japan.
If you want Japanese buy a Subaru. The tyre dealer doesn't need to tell you anything unless you ask.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Japanese made products are one of the best if not the best in the world. The original Turanza spare on my VE was also made in Japan.
If you want Japanese buy a Subaru. The tyre dealer doesn't need to tell you anything unless you ask.

Cheers, thanks for your wise comments!

If you read my posts, I wanted the same tyres so that I could have the same outcomes.

I ordered Bridgestone 245x45 R18 96V (OEM)

Do you know what OEM means greenacc?

If I order a particular tyre that's what I expect! A Bridgestone 245x45 R18 96V (OEM) which..for an 2008 Commodore 60th is a Bridgestone 245x45 R18 96V made in Japan.

Some of us like to keep our cars original!

H

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Cheers, thanks for your wise comments!

If you read my posts, I wanted the same tyres so that I could have the same outcomes.

I ordered Bridgestone 245x45 R18 96V (OEM)

Do you know what OEM means greenacc?

If I order a particular tyre that's what I expect! A Bridgestone 245x45 R18 96V (OEM) which..for an 2008 Commodore 60th is a Bridgestone 245x45 R18 96V made in Japan.

Some of us like to keep our cars original!

H

I don't think you get how it works. Holden don't ring Japan, and order 100,000 Bridgestone tires. They ring Bridgestone, and Bridgestone send them 100,000 tires from whichever factory has stock. Same goes for tire shops. Go and look at 100 different VE's and tell us if all of them have tires made in Japan.

CALAIS08V8

Scott
Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V V8 60th
I wouldnt be concerned about the country of origin. Id be more concerned about the quality of the compound. There are some tyre companies that import tyres from countries whos stock is intended for countries other than Australia ,therefore they don't have to meet our standards.There are a lot of people who have experienced low usage/mileage with Potenzas made in countries other than Japan.

I think Holdfast totally understands how it works. He didn't buy them from Holden and they are not made in Japan ,and thus his concern.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
I wouldnt be concerned about the country of origin. Id be more concerned about the quality of the compound. There are some tyre companies that import tyres from countries whos stock is intended for countries other than Australia ,therefore they don't have to meet our standards.There are a lot of people who have experienced low usage/mileage with Potenzas made in countries other than Japan.

I think Holdfast totally understands how it works. He didn't buy them from Holden and they are not made in Japan ,and thus his concern.

Ditto +1

Cheers

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
After further investigation, here's some additional information for those VE drivers who are thinking of buying new Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245 x 45R18 tyres.

If like me, you want to buy the original Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245 x 45R18 96V tyres this may interest you.

Bridgestone make a number of tyres in 245/45R18 size the country of manufacture for each of them below:

Note where they are manufactured.

245/45R18 100Y (XL) Bridgestone S001 – Japan

245/45R18 96W Bridgestone RE050A – Europe

245/45R18 100V (XL) Bridgestone RE050A – Thailand

245/45R18 100W (XL) Bridgestone Adrenalin RE002 – Indonesia

245/45R18 100Y (XL) Bridgestone ER300 – Europe

245/45R18 100W (XL) Firestone TZ700 – Thailand

The S001 pattern is Bridgestones newest flagship performance tyre and is progressively replacing the existing flagship RE050A pattern.

The RE050A pattern is Bridgestones current ultra high performance tyre.

The RE002 is a replacement market (no Original Equipment (OE) fitments) high performance tyre

The ER300 is a touring tyres (refined, comfortable, quiet)

The TZ700 is a Firestone replacement market touring tyre.

While these products are manufactured in different plants in different countries, they still carry the Bridgestone brand and as such still need to comply with Bridgestone’s standards for performance and safety, and are obviously compliant with Australian Design Rules (ADR’s).

Hope this helps others. :beer chug: