Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres

2008V8calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
I'm due for new tyres on my VE Calais. I just have the standard 18" wheels with 245/45r18 rubber on them. I was wondering what's the widest tyre I can fit on the standard wheels ? I plan on running 245 up front but would like to put 255 or more on the rear. I have rolled guards as well if that is of any help?
Cheers

Micaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
9/17 SSV Redline & 83 VH SS
You have to be careful that the outside diameter is the same or else the ABS & traction control starts playing up due to different sizes.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I can't help with your question, but if the experts were to say 10mm max, you've got to ask yourself, is it worth not being able to rotate front to back for such a minimal gain in rear width. Aint no bragging rights from 255's.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I just have the standard 18" wheels with 245/45r18 rubber on them. I was wondering what's the widest tyre I can fit on the standard wheels ? I plan on running 245 up front but would like to put 255 or more on the rear. I have rolled guards as well if that is of any help?
Cheers

So you have factory 18x8" rims. I wouldn't go wider then a 265 although the the 255s are more common and easy to too

You have to be careful that the outside diameter is the same or else the ABS & traction control starts playing up due to different sizes.

This is not true. Have seen all sorts of tyre diameters and size used especially on the G8s and never seen a complaint about that.

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
I was wondering the same! Ive got 18x8.5 jet chrome and was wanting to put 275x40x18 on the rear? Just a thought though.

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon
I'm due for new tyres on my VE Calais. I just have the standard 18" wheels with 245/45r18 rubber on them. I was wondering what's the widest tyre I can fit on the standard wheels ? I plan on running 245 up front but would like to put 255 or more on the rear. I have rolled guards as well if that is of any help?
Cheers

Try these calculators.........

Tyre Size for Rim Size/Width Calculator - What's the best tyre size for my rim?
I've no idea what your rim widths are, but an 8" isnt recommended above 245.
8.5" will take a 255.

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit
You can calculate poke/tuck/rolling diameter here if you know your offsets. Handy calculator.

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon
I was wondering the same! Ive got 18x8.5 jet chrome and was wanting to put 275x40x18 on the rear? Just a thought though.

I had 275 on a 9" rim and it was very square, I'm gonna say and 8.5" has no hope.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
The onl problem with "overs size" tyres is u have to run slighly lower pressure as they can bow out the centre. 255 prob not much of an issue where 275 would be.

U also have to be careful as not all tyres are created equal. Some are significantly wider in the same size as others.