Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres

Chalks1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 CALAIS ZB V Tourer
Ive been a fanboy of the Calais V Tourer since buying it, but I just replaced my tyres & got the shock of my life. Admittedly, I should have asked the price before. I just took it to the place I always go because theyve always offered good service.

I asked for mid range tyres, similar to the other tyres. Got Goodyear efficient Grip Performance SUV - $1484. I was expecting around $800. Already had a blue with the missus that morning, so Ill save giving her the invoice for the next day or two, which should cover me for the weekend.

The bloke at the dealership said they were an unusual size tyre. Is this true? What are others putting on the car as a replacement?

Im in a regional area.

Edit - Most other tyre dealerships seem around the same amount. Just checked tyresales & I could have got the same tyres for $792 - so I think Ive been had.

Chalks1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 CALAIS ZB V Tourer
The other thing that really pissed me off when I punctured my tyre on the weekend is that there are plastic sleeves on the wheelnuts. This means that the tyre wrench supplied with the car wont work until you get the plastic covers off - theres no tool supplied for that.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The other thing that really pissed me off when I punctured my tyre on the weekend is that there are plastic sleeves on the wheelnuts. This means that the tyre wrench supplied with the car wont work until you get the plastic covers off - theres no tool supplied for that.

I think you use the other end of the wheel brace to wedge those covers off. These covers were used on VE and previous Holdens.

The tourer does have strange size tyres. The are high profile.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I think you use the other end of the wheel brace to wedge those covers off. These covers were used on VE and previous Holdens.

The tourer does have strange size tyres. The are high profile.

The 'jack pack' in the VE's had a plastic tool to remove the nut sleeves.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

Unless they are a hard to find thread and diameter, replace them with some aftermarket 'chestnut' shaped chrome nuts.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
At the very least it looks like your tyre shop wasn't given a very good deal by their supplier.

$180 delivered on Ebay (so $720), although admittedly in Sydney area. But I imagine an extra $200 would see them delivered to wherever your are... And an extra $200 should easily cover fitting and disposal of old tyres. So $1120 would have been a good outcome

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GOODYEA...55:g:bKUAAOSw9-JeEMWX&frcectupt=true#shpCntId

On the bright side the higher sidewall probably rides nicer on country roads

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Always pays to get a few quotes before you buy. Mark-up on tyres if you don't ask and end up paying full retail for the tyres and fitting is painful.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Tyre pricing through places is dependant on how much of a particular brand they buy month in month out...The more they buy of a brand, the cheaper they get the brand for...Yes some don't bother passing the savings on, but in this day and age, that's stupidity.....Places even price match and/or beat....Case of shopping round.

Fitting painful????? Sorry, but when tyres are bought, prices include fitting/balancing and removal of old tyres...They should also include new valve stems...If it's a you supply, we fit scenario, yes they can hit your hip pocket....There are a few incentatives tyre suppliers offer retail stores to onsell their product, which helps tyre stores keep their doors open...By walking in with your own tyres, they need to make that money to help keep the doors open