Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I have stuck with Bridgestone since my first VE mainly because in the first place thats what they came out with. I had no trouble with the original RE050's and neither do I now with the RE003's. The wear rate of the RE050's is a lot better than the RE003's. However if I was spending any amount of time at the track I wouldn't be pissing around with road tyres and would go for a semi slick.

Tourer1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais Tourer
I have had the Michelin Super Sports in another size. Did exactly the same thing. Large chunks out of the tread. I believe it is an issue with the compound they used. I agree with the concern over Michelin, but I went with the PS4's and have had no issues in over 12 months.
I currently need tyres for the Calais Tourer, I am thinking of Continental UltraContact or Michelin Primacy in a 235/50/18 (OE).

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
We have a Calais V too. It had Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on it when we bought it (245/35/ZR20s), with approx 5,000 km on them. We got around 30,000 km in total from them, so 35,000 km in total - pretty much commuting driving. They probably still had a few thousand km on them when we changed them recently - one of them is now our full sized spare, with plenty enough tread left on it to be still legal. We didn't experience them losing any chunks of tread, but they did wear out their sidewalls far faster than the overall tread - and that was with good alignment and tyre rotations.

I wasn't looking forward to the replacement cost for the Michelins though - around $520 each - so we went with Bridgestone Potenza Sports during the buy three, get one free "deal". $439 each, but one was free. Around $1,400 for four tyres fitted, 4 wheel alignment and swapping the spare tyre to the rim with a bit of gutter rash on it. It's always difficult to gauge the performance of old tyres vs brand new ones, but so far, I think the Bridgestones are holding up well compared to the Michelin Pilot 4s. So far, same grip, same feel, less noisy.

Oh, and if anyone is Adelaide based, we got them through Bridgestone at Golden Grove. Very good service, they respect and take care of your car, and easy to deal with. We have a number of cars, and we go there for tyres for all of them.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I‘m running Pirelli Dragon Sports on the front of my SSV and they have been ok. No excessive wear from them but having said that they mostly do highway driving too and from work. I might do the occasional spirted drive once every couple of months and they work fine for that purpose.

I'm on my second set of those (245/35/20) after getting 60k kms from the first set.

That was with a mix of peak hour, highway and suburban driving.

I don't drive like I stole it but it is a manual 6 litre.