Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

U Pull It is slowly dying

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi all,

Have just come back from the Gilman branch of U Pull It to find oiut they are basically not getting any new cars, all their new stock is being redirected to the Elizabeth Yard to prop them up instead.

They've lost most of their staff at Gilman and the place looks like Beirut, it's an absolute mess.

Basically they are having their lunch cut by all the foreigners that are paying bigger money for cars so they can ship them overseas and make more cash that way. There's a huge car parts industry running out of Dubai that rapidly conquering the worldwide market. Our parts in this country are drying up rapidly.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi all,

Have just come back from the Gilman branch of U Pull It to find oiut they are basically not getting any new cars, all their new stock is being redirected to the Elizabeth Yard to prop them up instead.

They've lost most of their staff at Gilman and the place looks like Beirut, it's an absolute mess.

Basically they are having their lunch cut by all the foreigners that are paying bigger money for cars so they can ship them overseas and make more cash that way. There's a huge car parts industry running out of Dubai that rapidly conquering the worldwide market. Our parts in this country are drying up rapidly.

Yes prices for parts O/S are worth more than here, but drying up....Heard that too much and don't believe it.....I quite often head out of town and quite often see cars sitting in paddocks waiting for someone to knock on the door and ask.

Only a month or so ago, I went towards Robertstown and saw VB's through to VT/VX's just sitting there wasting away....They were between Point Pass and Robertstown.....That's just with Commodores.....I saw other makes as well.

There is another wrecker of Commodores at Edinburgh that seems to be booming..2nd hand mech wreck.....It's on Barfield Road....In the last 3 years I have known about it, it has increased stock 10 fold.

So it might be a case of u pull it not paying enough and other wreckers opening the wallet up more and people going down that path

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Wrecking yards in general are dying, especially self serve ones. Even UPI Elizabeth is looking pretty sad these days, stock hangs around forever and doesn't circulate.

IMO Marketplace and backyarders are killing them off. Half the time it's cheaper and quicker to find someone local wrecking the car you need than it is to go to these yards. On top of that the EPA's on their ass constantly about polluting the ground and the public liability insurance is off the scale for people coming in and pulling parts themselves.

That being said I'll miss UPI when they are gone. I haven't been much lately as their stock of 2nd gen commodores are drying up. They are mainly getting VT-VE now.

The margins for running a self serve yard would be razor razor thin, I'd hate to see how little their staff get paid.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
There is another wrecker of Commodores at Edinburgh that seems to be booming..2nd hand mech wreck.....It's on Barfield Road....In the last 3 years I have known about it, it has increased stock 10 fold.
Edited.

Last edited:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
us and mech wreck used to pay way more than UPI at auction for the 2nd gen stuff. I was often bidding against the boys for private stuff as well. But we also spent money at each others businesses so wasn't any animosity.

UPI had a set amount and standing order at pickles. but the auction pricing started to going up and they were going weeks without taking stock as it was selling above their standard purchase price.

I knew I had to start bidding over the 'UPI reserve' in order to secure anything.

the OS stuff is crazy for euros etc. Sold a spare E36 that we used for parts on mine for twice what we paid for it, and we had taken the interior, wheels etc off. They were just going to load it straight into a container for overseas they told us.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yes well their lunch is being cut by the Afghani's and Indians now and remember UPI's core business is not being a wrecker but more so being a scrap dealer. The parts sold pays for the wages within the company, while the main money maker is the breaking up of individual metals and selling it as clean scrap which pays far more than mixed metals.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Jollys in Melbourne are ALWAYS busy,
Car Park is usually full when I go there.
They have 3 sites, and I have been to all 3 and they are usually fairly tidy,
and they always have a turn over of different stock everyweek.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
There's another commodore specific one run by a couple of meth head looking guys opposite the old Holden plant too (Northern Commodore spares comes to mind I think), I bought some chrome window trims for the VR from them and they were very very sketchy.

You can tell straight up, that wrecking commodores isn't their main business considering they don't open until like 10:45-11am, deal in cash and look like they're coming down from the previous night still :p

Is that the one on Bayer Road, or the one on the Corner of Kettering and Bayer Roads?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wrecking yards in general are dying, especially self serve ones. Even UPI Elizabeth is looking pretty sad these days, stock hangs around forever and doesn't circulate.

IMO Marketplace and backyarders are killing them off. Half the time it's cheaper and quicker to find someone local wrecking the car you need than it is to go to these yards. On top of that the EPA's on their ass constantly about polluting the ground and the public liability insurance is off the scale for people coming in and pulling parts themselves.

That being said I'll miss UPI when they are gone. I haven't been much lately as their stock of 2nd gen commodores are drying up. They are mainly getting VT-VE now.

The margins for running a self serve yard would be razor razor thin, I'd hate to see how little their staff get paid.

Self serves ones dying yes, but wouldn't say wrecking yards in general.....

Have a mate that works at a wreckers as a mechanic and he said he is always busy as.....Been there 15 years....The owners son has his finger on the pulse on what's hot and what's not, so he buys accordingly....

Agreed, backyarders aren't helping much...Taking away wrecking yard business whilst the wrecker are having their asses pinched real tight by various laws