Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ugh.. VT Cigarette lighter/Power Source..

bpottz

Whipped By SAPOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
well, in my recently bought vt, i was plugging my phone charger into the lighter bay thingy mabob.. and there was no power coming out at all, i had a bit of a play around and then it worked fine.

thought nothing of it, until, tonight, the mrs.. :bang:

i dont know what she was doing, but anyway she stuffed around and when she pulled the charger out of the lighter, she managed to pull the entire lighter out of the console, i cannot get it back in propperly (only tried for 5 mins or so in the dark). and the lighter/powersource is now completely inactive resulting in me not being able to charge the phone, gps or ipod, or play my ipod through the stereo.

any help is appreciated, dont really know where to start.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The big nut that holds the whole thing in place has come undone. You will need to remove the console cover to replace it. It has probably blown the fuse as well. Fuses are behind the panel under the steering wheel.

bpottz

Whipped By SAPOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
what do you mean by the console cover? i took the steering wheel panel down, and removed the panel on the left of that to see if i could get in behind it but theres a big metal bracket in the way.

i also tried taking the bottom section of the fascia off, got the first two clips down by the elec windows off, then decided not to pry or pull anymore incase i broke something or pulled out any wiring in the elec windows, so i clipped it back in.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
what do you mean by the console cover? i took the steering wheel panel down, and removed the panel on the left of that to see if i could get in behind it but theres a big metal bracket in the way.

i also tried taking the bottom section of the fascia off, got the first two clips down by the elec windows off, then decided not to pry or pull anymore incase i broke something or pulled out any wiring in the elec windows, so i clipped it back in.
Pull the window switch out of the console and unpug it. The switches clip in, there are no screws. You need to remove the switches because the console cover won't lift up all the way up due to lack of clearance. Then remove the 2 screws either side of the lighter socket. Then lift the console cover from the rear (where the window switches were) it just clips in. Then remove the 2 screws that hold the little compartment in place. If you have an ash tray instead of the compartment the procedure is the same. Now you should be able to access the lighter socket.

bpottz

Whipped By SAPOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Pull the window switch out of the console and unpug it. The switches clip in, there are no screws. You need to remove the switches because the console cover won't lift up all the way up due to lack of clearance. Then remove the 2 screws either side of the lighter socket. Then lift the console cover from the rear (where the window switches were) it just clips in. Then remove the 2 screws that hold the little compartment in place. If you have an ash tray instead of the compartment the procedure is the same. Now you should be able to access the lighter socket.

thanks mate, will give it a shot tomorrow and post back if i have any success or difficulties

bpottz

Whipped By SAPOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
all fixed, just needed to figure out on my own how to get the fascia out, but eventually figured it all.

all is well, needed a new fuse now working fine.

thank god. got sick of the stupid CD player. much easier with an ipod :D

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Great thread.

Just wish the idiot who took mine apart once before hadn't lost that nut...

Wires falling off the lighter... hence no power working... replaced cig lighter unit (<$10) and wrapped it up with electrical tape behind the console to hold it somewhat in place. Might make a trip to bunnings one day and see if I can find something that fits.

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
hello all, as this iis the only thread i can find about a cigar lighter on a VT, i have a question for yous,

recently i done the same thing as bpottz, took the dash out, put it all back together, and now my lighter is constantly blowing fuses =( someone help??

Cheers

shooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VT Acclaim
Mine was doing the same thing, you'll have to take it apart and check that the wires are not touching any metal parts that can cause it to short out. Also if you haven't put the nut holding the cigarette lighter on tightly enough and is a bit loose can cause slight movement which will cause metal on wire which will short it out also. When putting the nut back on try putting thread tape on the thread.

matais3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
sorry bout this old thread, but mine does have power, (the light is on in the lighter) but when i plug charger in or anything else, it doesn't. Both of the lighters don't work even though the top lighter has the light on.. any suggestions?