Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Uh oh... noises... Balancer?

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Ok, yet another chapter in the book of VN problems.

My car today started making this loud knocking noise at low revs, when you pull up at lights or idle for example, but not when actually revving the engine.

I have got thick oil in there and still does it, so im not thinking bearings at this stage, but when looking unde rthe bonnet while running, I can see the harmonic balancer looks like its wobbling when running.
Could this be the source of the problem?
Given that i also have the death rattle noise that didnt go away when i replaced the chain, but DID go away temporarily the 2 times i had the balancer removed and reinstalled to get the chain replaced and the cas replaced, only to come back after a bit of driving...
Also when i went to move the car out the driveway, it started to run a bit crap like it was going to stall, which im guessing is maybe slipped a tooth on the timing chain if the balancer is bad enough to make the engine knock?

What do you guys think?

Balancer, or worse?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Ok, yet another chapter in the book of VN problems.

My car today started making this loud knocking noise at low revs, when you pull up at lights or idle for example, but not when actually revving the engine.

I have got thick oil in there and still does it, so im not thinking bearings at this stage, but when looking unde rthe bonnet while running, I can see the harmonic balancer looks like its wobbling when running.
Could this be the source of the problem?
Given that i also have the death rattle noise that didnt go away when i replaced the chain, but DID go away temporarily the 2 times i had the balancer removed and reinstalled to get the chain replaced and the cas replaced, only to come back after a bit of driving...
Also when i went to move the car out the driveway, it started to run a bit crap like it was going to stall, which im guessing is maybe slipped a tooth on the timing chain if the balancer is bad enough to make the engine knock?

What do you guys think?

Balancer, or worse?

Easy way to tell, pull the balancer and have a close look at it. If it's got bits falling off then I think you can join the dots!

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
nothings falling off of it... it looks fine (when attached) but ive noticed its not stable when spinning. its wobbling.
Its a pisser because i need my car every day.

POS.

CAM05L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5.0/vy sv8/r31 rb20
hey mate you prob better off just replacing the balancer anyway they arnt that expensive-well unda 100 bucks and do that balancer seal thats there aswell. sounds to me like your right on the money with the balancer.....

andynogo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina V8 wagon
My V6 dunnydoor used to make that noise, but never ran rough. I guess it only made the noise for two days before I fixed it tho! It was the harmonic balancer. You couldn't really tell from looking at it, but it sure made one hell of a noise!

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
yeah, well its always been rattling which i suspect now is the internal balancer rubbing against the timing chain cover because the outer balancer is shagged, and the knocking is too slow to be a bearing, and sounds like the balancing shaft slapping around.

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
If the balancer is shagged it'll kill the seal and possibly the bearing too, but let's hope it hasn't gotten that far. I agree with everyone, do the balancer and see how it goes. It's not a massively hard job.

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Well, if its at the stage where its knocking like a bitch, then probably everything is shagged.

Im dropping it off to the mechanics tomorrow and it can be their problem.
They quoted $300 to change the balancer, which apparently is $150 labour (which is complete crap) and $150 for a brand new balancer (which is pretty good really) so if there is more work to do i will make sure they dont jack up the labour charge as they are already charging 2 hours for a 20 min job.

If its not the balancer, then its probably serious, as the noise is rather aggressive, and sounds terminal.

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
mechanic confirmed Harmonic Balancer as source of problem.

Getting fixed as we speak, should be rolling again this evening.

I tell ya.. when i dont have my own car i feel like less of a man.

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
well a new balancer is in the car now and it runs a lot smoother - feeling the engine now i realise that the balancer must have been fooked for a while.

Doesnt make the knocking noise now, but still makes that awful rattle at 2000rpm, so that rules out balancer and chain and pulleys for that now...

Bugger.

Oh well, cant be that important.

Cars back YAY!