Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unable to open Fuel flap...

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Question; anyone else had a similar occurrence? Suggestions for a fix or to over ride the fault?

Is happening to me on and off; an intermitent fault. It happens to me when I park the car for a long time. I think I might need to replace the battery. Sounds silly but mine is about 6 years old, and when parked for a long time, the engine does not start right away, it clicks. The battery is on a tender when is parked for extended periods. Once I drive the car arround often, it starts right up and the fuel door opens all the time.

Sounds weird but it could be a borderline battery on my case. Is not providing enough Amps to run all the bells and wistles; too much electronic stuff takes a toll on the electrical system.

I could be wrong too, I need to load test the battery to be sure.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Is happening to me on and off; an intermitent fault. It happens to me when I park the car for a long time. I think I might need to replace the battery. Sounds silly but mine is about 6 years old, and when parked for a long time, the engine does not start right away, it clicks. The battery is on a tender when is parked for extended periods. Once I drive the car arround often, it starts right up and the fuel door opens all the time.

Sounds weird but it could be a borderline battery on my case. Is not providing enough Amps to run all the bells and wistles; too much electronic stuff takes a toll on the electrical system.

I could be wrong too, I need to load test the battery to be sure.
A 6yo battery is probably on 'borrowed time'...

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Might be early VE's, both of mine only require one press.
Your actuator might be failing?
only done it once, when i first bought the car

Spent 10minutes trying to work out WTF was wrong...

Eventually worked it out & its never happened again

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Mine does it every now and then.

I have to push the petrol flap in a bit and lock/unlock the car for the flap to open.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I still remember the 1st time I washed our newly acquired pre-loved VE. Reversed it out onto the driveway and locked it. Happily washing the car until I tried to open the fuel filler door to wash out inside. Felt like I swore my tonsils out for an eternity trying to get the fooking thing to open until I had a face palm moment and realised that perhaps locking the car also locked the filler door. :oops:

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
I still remember the 1st time I washed our newly acquired pre-loved VE. Reversed it out onto the driveway and locked it. Happily washing the car until I tried to open the fuel filler door to wash out inside. Felt like I swore my tonsils out for an eternity trying to get the fooking thing to open until I had a face palm moment and realised that perhaps locking the car also locked the filler door. :oops:
Exactly what happened to me, only I was @ the servo trying to work it out & everyone staring at me why I couldn’t open the fuel flap

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Exactly what happened to me, only I was @ the servo trying to work it out & everyone staring at me why I couldn’t open the fuel flap
Yeah, I think I had a few neighbours wondering WTF was going on and my wife didn't speak to me for a few hours afterwards.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Well to be fair in all the previous Commodores I had you locked the cap (if you had one) and not the flap. I was surprised when I first found out the flap locked when you locked the car as well.

I think locking the flap is a bit of a stupid idea as your far more likely to get locked out of your own fuel filler than locking someone else out of it. If someone is nefarious and has a screwdriver they can get into it anyway, and a lot easier than if you locked the cap itself.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Pretty sure our VS had the filler door release lever on the floor between the seat runner and the drivers door sill.
The used car dealer showed us you just push the VE filler door in and it pops open, never told us it locks up when the car is locked.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Pretty sure our VS had the filler door release lever on the floor between the seat runner and the drivers door sill.
The used car dealer showed us you just push the VE filler door in and it pops open, never told us it locks up when the car is locked.
True. At least with a cable release for the fuel filler its unlikely to go poopy in its trousers and leave you unable to put fuel in your car!

I bought myself a new fuel door release solenoid a while ago but I’ve been thinking about disabling the existing one as I don’t live in Logan so unlikely have any problems with it being unlocked.