Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unconventional idea for VL project, VS/VL hybrid

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
well you can when it becomes so popular its boring...i used to want a vl turbo when i was younger but then i saw the light and thought... why be like everone else?

Marco-EFIVL

Now driving R34 GT-T taxi
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Skyline, R34 GT-T (RB25DET NEO) sedan
YAWN... vl turbos are done to death!

Yes but an RB30 with RB25/26 head turbocharged and in a VS with a Skyline tranny? Is what I'm proposing THAT common lol?:p

Walsy, I'm guessing you've dropped a 5.0Ltr fuel injected in your ride?
So let's hear it guys, valid arguments between my RB30/36 DET idea to other V8 equivalents.

walesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
not ur idea isnt common... i know of like 3 and one of them is in my home town...i agree with airstrike... turbo 5.0...and yeh mines an efi5ltr

Marco-EFIVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo a 5ltr? Sh!T, that would put out some almighty grunt... My Uncle had a supercharged VS ute (5Ltr V8) that used to get wheelspin in 4th gear, so I guess the idea has merit. Only thing is I can't stand the idea of running a car with push-rods, I have this pet hate for push-rods. Still, these RB line of sixes have proven to be real power horses...

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Turbo a 5ltr? Sh!T, that would put out some almighty grunt... My Uncle had a supercharged VS ute (5Ltr V8) that used to get wheelspin in 4th gear, so I guess the idea has merit. Only thing is I can't stand the idea of running a car with push-rods, I have this pet hate for push-rods. Still, these RB line of sixes have proven to be real power horses...

Ahaha, I used to have this irrational hatred of pushrods. But when you think about it what's really wrong with them? Absolutely nothing, as a system it works just fine! There are a few fellas with turbo'd 5L's (and strokers) over on SC. And you're dead right, absolutely silly amounts of power to be had. Plenty of dosh required to do it right though. (As with any big HP motor) All in all it just comes down to personal preference, what do YOU want to do. Not what does everyone else think would be the ****, if you go looking for a consensus opinion on this sort of thing you'll never get anywhere. Just do what's gonna make you happy, because at the end of the day that's what it's gonna be for right?

Marco-EFIVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know, I agree. However when your not a full bottle on these matters, I guess it is best to ask for advice, as opposed to seeking a solution to an otherwise preventable problem... Still, to hear other people's opinions are constructive, I'd like to ask tho, what converted you from your 'irrational hatred of pushrods'?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
I know, I agree. However when your not a full bottle on these matters, I guess it is best to ask for advice, as opposed to seeking a solution to an otherwise preventable problem... Still, to hear other people's opinions are constructive, I'd like to ask tho, what converted you from your 'irrational hatred of pushrods'?

Yeah, i see your point, never a bad idea to listen to what other people have to say. I was over exaggerating the problem but in threads like these you'll always cop some flack from people who have some petty aesthetic objection to the idea. There's been some very relevant and useful info posted in this one though actually.

As for the "conversion", Fate landed me in a 4.1L XE which refused to die, no matter what retarded P-plater act I subjected it to. Sure it got crook every now and then, but barring a fairly catastrophic encounter with a big effin roo it always got me home. Afterwards fate landed me with the VN which went like a freight train for 9 months and then blew a gasket. (It got me home first though) I fixed it myself and have learned to appreciate exactly how robust and simple the pushrod architecture is. Might not be quite as sophisticated or efficient (that ones arguable but meh) as an OHC setup but it gets the job done with a minimum of fuss. But hey, if you're dead keen on an RB and you know your way around them, why the hell not? Heh, over on FFAU there's a fella who's absolutely mad for 351 windsors, he's put them in just about every car he owns. So yeah, decide what'll make you happy, figure out if it's feasible (as pretty much anything is possible) and get to work! :D

Marco-EFIVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
I must say, I'm just a Nissan man, and it is convenient because I've already got the RB30 bottom end. However, I've given some thought to dropping a VG (3.0Ltr inline six from the 300ZX) into a VS body, it would be a great combination. The VG suffered from the 300ZX having too small an engine bay to do massive modification, I'm guessing that would be less of an issue in the VS? Also, what is better, is that the VS is wider than the VL and it has other 'safety' features, like ABS, airbags and independant rear suspension..

walesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
kw :p... lol