Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Undercover VR Maloo un-optioned

Mr-pickles86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT senator Wagon
I owned 2 HSV's and 3 HSV Enhanced cars around the time period of your Ute and the features of your Ute doesn't resemble any of them.

The engine bay is definitely wrong for a genuine Maloo or even an enhanced vehicle.

Have a look under the front bar and see if HSV is stamped on it, though I have seen over the years some front bumper copies with HSV markings.

Yes i complet
Looking at those pics very little there to resemble it being maloo...one thing for sure it's been heavily messed with.

Engine bay alone no tags...missing 185i covers,hsv air box,knock sensor & harness?

If it were maloo nobody would toss those parts for stock items...telltale parts like those you keep on car 'cos cool to look at.

Same for interior no seats or leather wheel & nobody takes off dash plaque even for hsv enhanced.

3 theories.

Weirdly optioned car.

Stolen/recovered missing all good bits but hsv would be able to verify if it were maloo & still have dash replacement plaque plus info on order & build number etc.

Last option most likely is previuos owners have swapped parts over as lots of parts have been messed with & looks like it's lived a life.

Guessing from pics looks like it was a s pack..there are vl walkinshaw out there sold without bodykits & other weird things yet still have hsv tags & records to prove history.

I completely agree with what has been said through this whole thread and please be aware I am NOT claiming this thing to be a HSV maloo

MY THEORY

It is a Holden commodore S pac ute just like the build sheet says that was Stamped XY5 on the production line 13 December 1994 ready to go to HSV to be fitted out as a maloo but for some reason did NOT make it to HSV and NO HSV parts were fitted due to this.
When you REV's check the Vin it comes up as HSV Maloo as the vin it was issued destiny was to be one.

Potentially if it had of made it to its final destination after being issued the XY5 Vin number it would of become the 157th VR maloo built.

We will call it a Holden Maloo that never made it through puberty to become a Man

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Couple sets of hsv & calais headers I have look steel....knock sensor wire would melt.

Even vt 304 hsv had similar headers just wider.

Never had issue with starters I swapped over to vs high torque starters with 2 even bolts on everything....bosch are NLA although the aftermarket replacement cranks engine over like it's got no sparkplugs.

Not sure if vr models got hsv logo on mufflers do know later model vs & vt had it.

But agree with Afstruct if it were HSV or even HSV Enhanced there would be tag,dash plaque & record of it through HSV

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Stainless by h+m headers were the originals. Never had an issue with mine melting haha or cracking any of the stainless headers even with the passengers wrapped cause I kept cooking starter solenoids.

Just checked my late VSi Maloo and also HSV The Innovators 1991 -1995 book .
Yes the book says full staino exhaust for VR .
Either that's wrong or they cheaped out for the VS as my headers and h pipe ( so everything FWD of the cat looks decidedly rusty.
I need more space and then could store better after cleaning up and painting.
Everything after the cat is staino.
Both mufflers are stamped with HSV as you said and I already knew .
The rear resonator also has a top half shield welded on, over it and on ends with one end also stamped with HSV.
Both muffler spots have the heat shields attached to under the tray.

MRCALLAWAY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 5spd exec. 2000 V8 Olympic ute
I have been decoding my December 1994 Holden VR XY5 Maloo and are finding very odd options and it seems to be unrecognized by HSV as ever being built.

Options

B81 Maloo stickers and most of the body kit deleted

PH9 15x6 alloy wheels

ZZ1 Portuguese Language owners manual

and there is no HSV build plate.

if you run the REV's check on the vin its HSV Maloo but it does not come up in identify my HSV

Can someone please assist.
View attachment 231517View attachment 231522View attachment 231523
Stumbled across this old thread researching a car that just came up in my feed and thought I could offer some clarity.

The cars RPO codes are what the vehicle was built as prior to its HSV conversion.

The ornamentation and side body mould deletes are common Holden builds destined for HSV (V5B) as they will label them on completion as a Maloo. For instance, my GTS has RPO codes that say it was built by Holden as a black 300kw 6 speed Berlina with steel wheels and standard, suspension, bumpers and brakes etc. and then HSV finish them off. I do believe your car is a Maloo but I reckon it's potentially a stolen and recovered as mentioned before.

Any pics of it now?