Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

United Warranty Problems?

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Hi All,
After some advice dealing with a company.

I purchased a TV back in late 2010 with an extended warranty through United Warranty, figured it was a reasonable size purchase and didn't plan on changing the TV for a bit.

All going well until the TV developed a lovely pink band running across the panel which appeared to be getting worse and worse so I lodged a call with the warranty place on the 23rd Feb 2012.

The TV was collected by a 3rd party (24th Feb 2012) which I must say has been brilliant (Darren from Pro4 Services) to say the least but with that aside the panel was deemed to be at fault and 'unrepairable' according to the warranty company, I don't blame them the cost of a replacement 63" panel wouldn't be cheap.

No worries so I thought....

The advice over the telephone indicated Samsung were bringing out new models, this I was more than happy with as I was of the understanding this would take 2 – 3 weeks at most.

After numerous phone calls (early > mid April) the original replacement was unable to be sourced from 2 different suppliers according to the customer service operator I was then advised by a technician at United Warranties a different replacement model being the Samsung PS64E550 was ordered and would be in Melbourne on the Friday with it arriving at my premises within ~3 days.

When this time had come and gone another phone call was made and promised that it would be at my premises by now the end April which has also come and gone much to my surprise.

Now when we call a person had advised that we would be given a call back however this never eventuates (just me personally this has happened twice) and another person in the family twice as well to my knowledge.

The replacement Samsung unit promised (PS64E550) is certainly available for purchase elsewhere so the excuse that Samsung isn’t able to provide the replacement isn’t accurate by any stretch of the imagination.

I called numerous times lately only to be greeted with the call back service, given how unsuccessful this has been in the past I see no point leaving more messages and now resorting to taking it a step further as being nice on the phone back when I could speak to someone clearly isn't working.

In no way have I been offensive or pushy on the phone, I understand it isn't the fault of the person on the other end, having been in a customer facing role previously I can't take it out on them.

ACCC (after 2 weeks and I initiated the contact) said speak with Office of Consumer and Business Affairs in SA and they state I need to put something in writing giving them 10 days to remedy the situation.

Given I have sent numerous emails indicating I will be seeking further advice they don't appear to care too much, suffice to say a letter is in the post as I type this.

What I'm interested in is there anyone else with similar issues with this company? or whether this is the correct path to be heading down? I'm normally very patient but lets face it coming up to 4 months without a TV does appear to be a joke.

A cheap insurance policy it seems, all good to have it but when it comes time to pay out good luck, like getting blood out of a stone.

Had thought of Today Tonight or someone similar as I'm over it but really is it worth the effort? I wonder how many other poor suckers are in the same boat.

Thanks

Cheers
Darren

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
At work we went down the road of being partners with them, we sold a few warranties in a few months, but during that time a warranty job was required, and let me tell you what a fecking nightmare it was, we sussed out the device, reported to united and said this is whats failed we require $xxxx to repair, Oh no they said they will track down the part our selfs. Sure ok good luck ! almost a month down the track they tell us oh sorry we cannot repair the machine with our sources of parts, Yeah so **** cause your not a partner with company X like us that has access to all the parts. So after that we got $ to finally repair, After that we stuck to Manufacture extended warranty. NEVER AGAIN NO ONE TOUCH THEM !

INNAWE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 5ltr
"A consumer buys a plasma
television for $6000. It stops
working two years later. The
supplier tells the consumer they
have no rights to repairs or another
remedy as the television was only
under the manufacturer’s warranty
for 12 months. The supplier says
the consumer should have bought
an extended warranty, which would
have given five years’ cover.
A reasonable consumer would
expect more than two years’ use
from a $6000 television. Under
the consumer guarantees, the
consumer therefore has a statutory
right to a remedy on the basis that
the television is not of acceptable
quality. The supplier must provide a
remedy free of charge."

Consumer guarantees
A guide for businesses and legal practitioners

This was taken from the above document. I don’t know why people purchase these extended warranties. If your buying expensive goods they automatically come with a guarantees from the manufacture. I was told this from a sales man when I had a similar issue. But my wife and I split not long after the TV started having issues..... so being the top bloke I am I happily gave her the TV hahahaha.
Extended warranties in anything are usually not worth the paper they are written on.

Not sure if this helped lol