Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unreliable VE

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
I would hope they did more than simply test battery voltage.

A cooked battery can still show good voltage, it needs to be load tested.

thanks ricey.

it happened again this morning n i jump started it which seemed to do the trick. so i went straight back to battery world and asked the battery be load tested as you mentioned. turns out it passed that test too.. so it doesnt seem to be the battery. do you have any other ideas on what it might be ?

thanks.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I'd be concerned whether they are competent enough to actually do a load test if they didn't do it in the first place.

If jump starting gets the car going then I'd still be betting on the battery. If it was a starter motor issue and your battery was good then jumping generally wouldn't make any difference.

I'd take it to an auto electrician and ask them to test the battery and if it passes they should be able to diagnose the fault.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
If you do a search on the LS1 forum about flat batteries in VE's it is a pretty common problem, not sure if it is just the V8's or both 6 and 8, but there has been heaps of comments re batteries going flat and problems with them charging up again once flat. From memory there has been a few software updates to alter the charge rate and cycle. From what I can recall the computer controls the charge rate of the alternator, also with the new type calcium batteries they need a special charger to bring them up to full charge again, the old lead/acid chargers won't fully charge them. I think the VE's have few electrical gremlins from what I have read. But doesn't seem to effect all cars. I haven't done a search on this forum re flat batteries there may be threads on here about it all ready.

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
I spent several years repairing TVs in my youth. The number of times I heard "I think it's the switch..." I lost count.

Likewise I'm sure an auto electrician with the chestnut "I'm sure it's the battery!!"

Look deeper, use the force...

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
I'd be concerned whether they are competent enough to actually do a load test if they didn't do it in the first place.

If jump starting gets the car going then I'd still be betting on the battery. If it was a starter motor issue and your battery was good then jumping generally wouldn't make any difference.

I'd take it to an auto electrician and ask them to test the battery and if it passes they should be able to diagnose the fault.

happened again this morning, jumped and took it to auto elec who said its the battery... will get new battery and let you know how i go!

thanks for the help ricey and others.

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
new battery fixed nothing. spoke to a mate who had similar problems and said it needs the BCM flash which im not sure if the car has had and i assume it hasnt. booked in for tomorrow morning, again will keep this thread updated!

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
new battery fixed nothing. spoke to a mate who had similar problems and said it needs the BCM flash which im not sure if the car has had and i assume it hasnt. booked in for tomorrow morning, again will keep this thread updated!

Yup - there's been a techline on this since late 2006.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
and What does the techline say ?

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
BCM update required. My 2006 VE Calais had it done 2 days after I picked it up new in Nov 2006.