Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unscrewed Boot spoiler (problem)

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
bought the grommets and painted them the same colour but the yellow sticks out so much, might take me a month to get it welded up and resprayed since i wana get my wheels first, dont know if i can live with it looking that bad for a month though lol, maybe i should get this done first?

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
any ideas how to pull the wiring back in to the middle so i can clip it back in? think i might just put the spoiler back on until i get it welded and resprayed, there is one positive atleast the brake light in rear window works (bought a globe for it today)

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
when it gets welded up do i just get the top of the bootlid resprayed or does the whole part around the garnish get resprayed too?

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
just buy another boot lid would work out alot cheaper.
was looking at that, although then you need to worry about rewiring everything and the berlina garnish doesnt go straight onto an exec, spac, acclaim boot does it looking at pictures of the normal boots it looks like you need to have parts cut out to fit it in?

Edit: actually looking a little more i realise the normal boots actually have a detatchable garnish too, i was thinking the solid colour ones were just part of the boot

ozrockracing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute Series III
when it gets welded up do i just get the top of the bootlid resprayed or does the whole part around the garnish get resprayed too?

What was wrong with the boot spoiler that you needed it gone?

The yellowing may need to be polished out with a stronger cutting polish, and if you are not sure how to do it properly, I would advise against playing the trial and error game, as you could easily polish the paint away to the undercoat causing more damage.
When you get the boot repaired, the whole area will need to be sanded back, as well as ground after welding and then a light skim of body filler to smooth the repair over, the entire boot will need to be resprayed and the areas around the boot "wet in" to blend the whole thing together. (wetting in is when the painter uses a very diluted paint to blend the newly painted panel with the original surrounding panels, this gives a more even look to the finished job)

A more economical idea would be as someone else suggested, buy a new/seconhand bootlid in a matching color that doesnt have a spoiler, and then to recoup some cash, sell the spoiler and original bootlid on ebay or the forum.

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
What was wrong with the boot spoiler that you needed it gone?

The yellowing may need to be polished out with a stronger cutting polish, and if you are not sure how to do it properly, I would advise against playing the trial and error game, as you could easily polish the paint away to the undercoat causing more damage.
When you get the boot repaired, the whole area will need to be sanded back, as well as ground after welding and then a light skim of body filler to smooth the repair over, the entire boot will need to be resprayed and the areas around the boot "wet in" to blend the whole thing together. (wetting in is when the painter uses a very diluted paint to blend the newly painted panel with the original surrounding panels, this gives a more even look to the finished job)

A more economical idea would be as someone else suggested, buy a new/seconhand bootlid in a matching color that doesnt have a spoiler, and then to recoup some cash, sell the spoiler and original bootlid on ebay or the forum.
yeah not sure if that would work out cheaper or not, will still have to pay someone to rewire the new boot, but i will look into it (planning on going around to a heap of wreckers and panel beaters on monday, hopefully i have some luck)

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Pinch some "Jif" from mum's laundry :) Use it in circular motion,once its stain free then polish it.

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Personally I think it looks really tacky when I see spoiler removals that have grommets in the holes. Either replace boot or weld up and respray. Both of which would fix the yellowing problem. If you cant afford to do either, leave spoiler on until you can.