Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

unstable idle on vs v8

domtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
yea thats werid, mine only flickers, its real bad when driving tho.. revs are all over the place..

yer i have to try plugs, leads and dist cap and rotor button this weekend and see hwo it goes.

hq-racing

HSVR-28
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 DAILY, WORKED VR CLUBSPORT WAGON PROJECT
yer just make sure it is the correct plugs in there, and the gap is correct.

the plugs are NGK BPR6EF n the gaps are 25tho, no cracks on them. all at 25...
ahh this is starting to annoy me, it real struggles to go thro the revs, real hesitante..
ne ideas??

domtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
the plugs are NGK BPR6EF n the gaps are 25tho, no cracks on them. all at 25...
ahh this is starting to annoy me, it real struggles to go thro the revs, real hesitante..
ne ideas??

isnt 25thou about .60mm
i found a post by someone saying this is what plugs used and gapping

VS V8 5.0L
Std: BPR6EF gap: 1.0mm
Irid: BPR6EFIX-10 gap: 1.0mm

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I have a haynes VN - VS V6 and V8 workshop manual,It says the plug gap for the VN-VP V8=0.95 - 1.05 mm. And the VR-VS V8=0.8 - 0.9 mm.

hq-racing

HSVR-28
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 DAILY, WORKED VR CLUBSPORT WAGON PROJECT
na made it worse!!!! now im defiently thinking it must be a lead!
its at my mechanics now to get my tailshaft rebuilt n new booster so they're gonna look at it for me! cant be bothered nemore! had enough!

domtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
na made it worse!!!! now im defiently thinking it must be a lead!
its at my mechanics now to get my tailshaft rebuilt n new booster so they're gonna look at it for me! cant be bothered nemore! had enough!

oh ok let us knw there findings..

i did further searches on here and couple ppl say the map sensor could be at fault..
so im doing spark plugs, leads, dist cap and rotor button tomorro and if it doesnt fix then im gonna try the map sensor and then im out of ideas

domtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
oh ok let us knw there findings..

i did further searches on here and couple ppl say the map sensor could be at fault..
so im doing spark plugs, leads, dist cap and rotor button tomorro and if it doesnt fix then im gonna try the map sensor and then im out of ideas

ok change the leads, plugs, dist cap and rotor button - idle little better but its till hunter up and down.

even went to wrecker and got couple of map sensors and change them an no difference..

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Mate it sounds to me like it could be a vacuum leak somewhere.Especially since you have replaced all the things that usually cause a bad/unstable idle.Did the feel of the brake pedal change at all when the problem started? A leaking brake booster can cause idling problems and engine hunting up and down in revs at idle.Id also go over every vacuum hose around the engine and engine bay,including the vacuum reserve bottle under the left front guard.Its a round plastic ball looking thing,it should have a vacuum hose connected to it.Sometimes this hose can come off..also check the charcoal cannister hose connections.Dont just look at the vacuum hoses,get hold of them and make sure they are tight and connected properly,and keep a good eye out for splits,some can be very hard to see and find..