Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

unstable idle on vs v8

domtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
Mate it sounds to me like it could be a vacuum leak somewhere.Especially since you have replaced all the things that usually cause a bad/unstable idle.Did the feel of the brake pedal change at all when the problem started? A leaking brake booster can cause idling problems and engine hunting up and down in revs at idle.Id also go over every vacuum hose around the engine and engine bay,including the vacuum reserve bottle under the left front guard.Its a round plastic ball looking thing,it should have a vacuum hose connected to it.Sometimes this hose can come off..also check the charcoal cannister hose connections.Dont just look at the vacuum hoses,get hold of them and make sure they are tight and connected properly,and keep a good eye out for splits,some can be very hard to see and find..

does anyone have a vaccum diagram for vs v8 so i knw where all the vaccum lines are?

domtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
hi guys
doing some more research on here about irractic idle and someone posted that this needs to be done to iac and tps when replaced.

"i just had this problem which i fixed couple days ago, besides just a new TPS, i found out
you must re-sett them everytime the battery has been disconnected. which took me awhile before i knew hot to set the TPS and IAC valve properly. You must put in diagnostic mode turn key dont start car, disconnect IAC start car then set idle manually by screw around 600rpm in this mode. Turn off car and take out of diagnostic mode, sametime remove main fuse for 1 minute to re set computer. plug in IAC valve then start car rev to 3000rpm hold for 1 minute backoff then revs will slowly drop down to a good idle."

is this true as i never did it to my car?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
that sounds like a bit of b/s to me. Maybe when the car is first setup at the factory this might be the routine, but once its all setup it should begood. Somtimes you may need to reset the ecu. But pulling the fuse for a minute is a bit excessive.

domtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
i took the car out today at lunchtime for work and the bloody car idle nicely for the 15min drive i did!! the weather was much warmer today so maybe its the temp sensor playing up making it drop more fuel in making it unstable idle? or would this come up as ecu error code?

after work about 5pm it went back to its up and down idling!!!! arrrrh

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
VR/VS are both 1.00mm gap. You should have a sticker on the passenger side suspension tower that will confirm the correct gap.