Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unsure on what wheel nuts to use

Jackoson2567

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Hey guys im looking at buying a set of mc racing wheels for my ve and im wondering what kind of wheel nuts to use

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I only trust factory ones, but thats me

Yeah,long story but apparently it can void your Insurance if you haven't advised them of different non-genuine Wheels & Nuts.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah,long story but apparently it can void your Insurance if you haven't advised them of different non-genuine Wheels & Nuts.

That means, ever single brand new aftermarket wheel that has been fitted with the supplied nuts voids your insurance....

Yes it is adviseable to notify your insurance company that you have aftermarket wheels, but as for voiding your insurance as a result of having them fitted and not notifying them....Bit of rubbish you have posted

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
That means, ever single brand new aftermarket wheel that has been fitted with the supplied nuts voids your insurance....

Yes it is adviseable to notify your insurance company that you have aftermarket wheels, but as for voiding your insurance as a result of having them fitted and not notifying them....Bit of rubbish you have posted

Yes,if the Insurance Co. involved decides to get out the fine print,anything that is added or replaced from the Factory Specifications can void Insurance.If you are replacing genuine with after market Wheels/Nuts make sure your Insurance Co. is notified and its noted on your Policy.
Long story short,fellow member of our Car Club had an Accident in a VR and cleaned up 3 other cars,Insurance Assessor honed straight in on the Mag Wheels and also claimed they were using 'unsuitable wheel fasteners'(something like that,the phrase didn't use 'wheel nuts'.),in other words they claim the 'modifications' made the car unroadworthy.
Anyway the last i heard his Father hired a law Firm and it went to Court but the Judge ordered mediation and the Insurance Co. agreed to meet claims on the 3 damaged cars but not the VR.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes,if the Insurance Co. involved decides to get out the fine print,anything that is added or replaced from the Factory Specifications can void Insurance.If you are replacing genuine with after market Wheels/Nuts make sure your Insurance Co. is notified and its noted on your Policy.
Long story short,fellow member of our Car Club had an Accident in a VR and cleaned up 3 other cars,Insurance Assessor honed straight in on the Mag Wheels and also claimed they were using 'unsuitable wheel fasteners'(something like that,the phrase didn't use 'wheel nuts'.),in other words they claim the 'modifications' made the car unroadworthy.
Anyway the last i heard his Father hired a law Firm and it went to Court but the Judge ordered mediation and the Insurance Co. agreed to meet claims on the 3 damaged cars but not the VR.

So what you are saying is, when you buy aftermarket wheels, that supply their own wheel nuts, to suit those rims, you have to make sure there is some sort of paper work, stating the wheel nuts meet factory specifications. ROH, CSA, and Simmons wheels are 3 brands off the top of my head, that supply wheel nuts with their wheels...

Sorry, but no aftermarket wheel, supplied with their own wheel nuts have this paper work.....The wheels have ADR standards stamped inside the rim, so they are covered in both Aust and NZ...If the wheels don't have the ADR stamping, they are considered an illegal modification

I also have in my hand, a set of genuine ROH aftermarket lock nuts, still in the packet....On this packet, there is no mention of any standards that they have met.....So, judging by what you are saying, if I was to fit these lock nuts and I was to have an accident, my insurance would be void, because I have no way of proving they meet or exceed factory specifications. And lets face it, not many people mention this sort of stuff on their policy

This all boils down to, the company that supplies these wheel nuts and or lock nuts, and/or the place that fits them, would be liable for all damages caused in an accident, because there is no way to prove they meet or exceed factory specifications....And as a tyre fitter, we are at liberty to ensure the vehicle is roadworthy with all work we perform on the vehicle before it leaves our premises, otherwise we are liable for all damages that vehicle causes as a result of our workmanship.

Then you have the situation, where you fit one brand aftermarket wheel, with another brands aftermarket lock nuts....ie I have CSA wheels and ROH lock nuts....

Makes for one messy lawsuit, in which the owner of the vehicle wouldn't be left out of pocket, especially if they were fitted by a registered business....Or the information you are being fed is 3rd hand, with little bits and pieces changed to suit the situation.

Last edited:

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate,go and have a beer or 2 and relax,anyone but a complete Moron can see what i was getting at.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Mate,go and have a beer or 2 and relax,anyone but a complete Moron can see what i was getting at.

Yep I am a complete moron....according to you, even if you notify the insurance company of aftermarket wheels and wheel nuts, they can use the fine print to deny the claim,(which we all know they try on) because there is no way you can prove that the wheel nuts (wheels aren't the issue) are the same or exceed factory specifications.

Now that's putting a long story short

Last edited:

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep I am a complete moron....according to you, even if you notify the insurance company of aftermarket wheels and wheel nuts, they can use the fine print to deny the claim,(which we all know they try on) because there is no way you can prove that the wheel nuts (wheels aren't the issue) are the same or exceed factory specifications.

Now that's putting a long story short

No,your not a Moron but as you say Insurance Co.'s can use 'Fine Print' when there is a large claim at stake.
That's what i was saying,be careful when you start replacing Factory parts, wheels ,suspension,lights,window tint,metal brake & accelerator pedals etc.etc,always have it mentioned on your Policy as Insurance Assessors are experts at finding a way to reject a Claim.