Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unwanted Water Feature

pacey

I'm Back
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII 2000 Commodre Exec.
Hey guys, firstly I'd like to thank everyone in the forum help me with my car since the problems arose a few weeks back. I put a new set of leads on my car today as my last requirement for a service and my car is now better than what is was when I first got it.

I knew F*** all about my car except for the electrical aspect, motor wise I hadn't a clue of what did what.

I have learnt -

About Sensors and what they do (And replacing them)
What to look for when the car is not running well.
How to clean the Throttle Body (I didn't even know what is was)
How to do a diagnostic with the codes (only thought qualified mechanics could do it).
How the Fuel system works and much more.

(oh yeah, that high volt short was eliminated by new leads)

My car is running absolutley perfect but I still have one annoyance - I can hear what seems like a bloody creek running behind my dash. Especially when the car has sat over night and when going around corners. I know theres water somewhere but I can't find it. The interior of the car is as dry as a dogs d*** in the desert, so no water is coming inside. Any ideas on this one!

If I can fix this problem I'll be very happy and have achieved alot more in a few weeks than I have in 5 years since owning my car which I owe to you guys so any suggestions on this one would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

P.S I'll soon be able to dedicate my time in helping those with their problems and start posting pointless yet funny posts like s0sage. 500 posts of worthless crap here I come. LOL (no offence intended)

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
lmao mate ... none taken :wave:

what do ya mean behind the dash? IN the dash? or BEHIND it in the engine bay? top or bottom?

silly question but have you got a full washer reservoir? (the back cream plastic tank with hose runing to washer jets? i noticed mine was sloshing around heaps and i only heard it because it had run low and was mixing around like a demon, i filled it up, it had less room to slosh around, sound promptly dissapeared

pacey

I'm Back
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII 2000 Commodre Exec.
s0sage said:
lmao mate ... none taken :wave:

what do ya mean behind the dash? IN the dash? or BEHIND it in the engine bay? top or bottom?

silly question but have you got a full washer reservoir? (the back cream plastic tank with hose runing to washer jets? i noticed mine was sloshing around heaps and i only heard it because it had run low and was mixing around like a demon, i filled it up, it had less room to slosh around, sound promptly dissapeared

LOL, cool! Well it sounds like its in the dash itself but I'd say its probably on the outside (just sound very loud) I figured washer res. but I fill it up regularly and it does it on full and empty. I can hear the water slosh from one side of the 'dash' to the other and is more of a running sound (like that nice running trickling sound you hear when you need to pee and there no toilet around) or to be more precise, a slow running creek.

It disappears after a while of driving and does not happen all the time. Cheers for a speedy reply, I am hoping to have this problem solved before returning to work.

Oh, its coming from the top.

Last edited:

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
Maybe it might have something to do with the heater core element. This is the only water that actually enters the cabin and it sits behind the dash. Mine had a small hole in it once and I would get the slowest of leaks inside the car - but I usually smelt it(radiator fluid) before I could feel it.

Otherwise aircon turning on and off can sometimes sound sus.

pacey

I'm Back
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII 2000 Commodre Exec.
Slooth said:
Maybe it might have something to do with the heater core element. This is the only water that actually enters the cabin and it sits behind the dash. Mine had a small hole in it once and I would get the slowest of leaks inside the car - but I usually smelt it(radiator fluid) before I could feel it.

Otherwise aircon turning on and off can sometimes sound sus.

Nah, no smell, no wetness inside :my:

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
Not sure then. It may be the way the water is running through the heater core.

statesman_vs_s1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman Series 1 V6
If there is air in your cooling system it will sound like water dripping and running around in behind your dash assembly. Check radiator water level and also check for air blocks if you can.

thats my 2 cents anyhow. :)

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
it is probably the coolant sloshing in your heater lines. you said it stops when it heats up?

pacey

I'm Back
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII 2000 Commodre Exec.
Thanks Guys, the radiator coolant level was low (and so was the washer bottle sOsage, I forget that my missus uses the pissers even when the windscreen isn't dirty). So sounds like both were contributing to the noise.

Needless to say, once I topped up the radiator and washer bottle, sound **MAGICALLY** disappeared. Can't believe it was that simple, but I found the biggest problem, there is a massive crack around where the overflow hose goes onto the radiator so when it gets hot is just losing coolant instead of going back to the coolant res. so I'm guessing this is probably the main cause.

Looks like a replacement radiator job (that'll teach me from being tight and only paying $20 for a crappy second hander) so hopefully this will fix the prob indefinitly. Oh yeah, might disconnect the pissers b4 my missus uses the car next lol. Cheers

Indy_387

Reaction score
pacey said:
Thanks Guys, the radiator coolant level was low (and so was the washer bottle sOsage, I forget that my missus uses the pissers even when the windscreen isn't dirty). So sounds like both were contributing to the noise.

Needless to say, once I topped up the radiator and washer bottle, sound **MAGICALLY** disappeared. Can't believe it was that simple, but I found the biggest problem, there is a massive crack around where the overflow hose goes onto the radiator so when it gets hot is just losing coolant instead of going back to the coolant res. so I'm guessing this is probably the main cause.

Looks like a replacement radiator job (that'll teach me from being tight and only paying $20 for a crappy second hander) so hopefully this will fix the prob indefinitly. Oh yeah, might disconnect the pissers b4 my missus uses the car next lol. Cheers

With a crack the system will also not be under any presure, thereforre the boiling point is lowered.