Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Up hill & under load problems

Craig10462

Craig10462
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Hi all,
I have had a ongoing problem with my 95 VS Wagon what it feels/appears to be is a missfire under load, especially worse if going up a hill (Toowoomba Range). I was told by a Mechanic that it was the coil pack and or the ignition pack under the coils. So far I have replaced the coil pack, the ignition pack under the coils, the plugs & plug leads and it still runs the same. Could it be the Crank Angle Sensor causing this?????
Dont know if anyone else has had this prob? but any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Craig.

knightwolf

BOG STOCK VZ SV6...
Reaction score
Website
www.holdencommodoreclub.com
Members Ride
Red Hot 2006 VZ SV6 "DSTR01"
Hi all,
I have had a ongoing problem with my 95 VS Wagon what it feels/appears to be is a missfire under load, especially worse if going up a hill (Toowoomba Range). I was told by a Mechanic that it was the coil pack and or the ignition pack under the coils. So far I have replaced the coil pack, the ignition pack under the coils, the plugs & plug leads and it still runs the same. Could it be the Crank Angle Sensor causing this?????
Dont know if anyone else has had this prob? but any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Craig.

Is it when under load in a higher gear ?

My 91 Vn has the same problem up hill and when I only put my foot down a bit, and Ive been told the transmition doesnt know wather to change back a gear or not.....

Craig10462

Craig10462
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
appears to be in the overdrive at times but when I went up the Toowoomba Range a coupla weeks ago i pulled it back to 3rd and put the power button on and kept it flat to the floor, it was the same as if it didnt know what gear to be in, thats what it felt like anyway, I had small 4 cyl's passing me (The Shame LOL)
I still think it could be more of an electrical prob, but then again I'm no expert!
Thanks for your info my Friend.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Try changing the fuel filter. Under load it would require more fuel, and if it was partially blocked it would hesitate under load.

Craig10462

Craig10462
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Yeah that was my initial thoughts as well, changed the sucker to no avail, still the same

knightwolf

BOG STOCK VZ SV6...
Reaction score
Website
www.holdencommodoreclub.com
Members Ride
Red Hot 2006 VZ SV6 "DSTR01"
Is there and electrical automatic gear selector switch / relay ? if so could be that, but I agree Im not a mechanic so I really can only tell what I have been told.... Unless your kickdown cable is streched (if they have them)....

Last edited:

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Not sure if this helps, but could it be the injectors are blocked? I recently had issues with my VR V6 (Manual). Turns out the fuel tank had rusted and the injectors where blocked, causing misfire and low power.

Not sure how easy that is to fix, but i picked up 6 VY Injectors for $80 from the wreckers. Apparently they fit all buick/ecotec engines and will give slightly more power (3-5kw) and increase economy a little.

They are pretty easy to change and not that expensive. I would change them as they are cheap and even if its not the problem it will help the engine.

If it is the injectors i would be looking at why they got blocked... Could also be the fuel pump.

Good luck.

Craig10462

Craig10462
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Thanks for your replies Knightwolf & Feistl will look into both of those things

9C1pack

Reaction score
Do some more searching on this subject. Many other people on these forums have had problems with hesitation or shudddering when the engine is under load . I did what they suggested and replaced the spark plugs (cheapest option $20) it did not fix it, then replaced the after market spark plug leads with the original GM ones ($58) problem fixed.

Craig10462

Craig10462
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Thanks for that, I not long replaced all the leads, although not genuine parts they were around $60 Eagle Silicone I think they were. I'm still unsure about it as it does not play up all the time, can be running like a pig one day, next day there is nothing wrong with it??????? Took it to an Auto Electrician for a scan, only one fault showed Crank Angle Sensor, but this bloke reckons that would not do it but maybe change it anyway. Will look some more as it will only do under load, thanks