Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upggrading from V6 VX Acclaim

peterlonz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
I have surprisingly become quite fond of the every day driver I bought about 18 monthas ago.
It is a low Km (140,000 ), 2001, V6, Acclaim series , Auto.
Had to attend to several age related issues but everything turned out to be relatively low cost & almost any mechanic knows these cars inside out.
My wife is now asking why do we not buy a better looking, "better Holden" (of vintage 2000 - 2005 say)?
Well I have need told to avoid any Alloytech engine for a variety of reasons.
Also I have begun taking notice of the Statesman Holdens but they generally seem to offer relatively little for the substantial additional price.
So from the seemingly vast array of models what do members think offer a good bang for buck whilst upgrading looks & possibly performance.
I know it's an open ended question so any opinion welcome
Thanks

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Wife wants more bling..... yeah . At car shows with something engineered to all buggery like an old Kombi with a mid mount big block the girls will comment on the colour !

You've got a reliable , low kays car that you've got sorted well, with a decent donk, and all the mechs know about. Keep the bloody thing !
Why chuck money at an unknown ?
Yeah I know I'm talking logic which doesn't get the wife more bling, maybe she can have 'bling' on something else. What else does she want ? A heated dunny seat or something ?

BTW: your 'ride' says VS.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Our VX is a keeper and we plan to keep her until we retire in 12 years time. Why discard something because of its age, if that was the case I'd trade in the wife for a much younger model.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Our VX is a keeper and we plan to keep her until we retire in 12 years time. Why discard something because of its age, if that was the case I'd trade in the wife for a much younger model.
Yeah , I got mine wanting it to do me for 10 years and it already had 275 xxx kays on it. About 2 years done and no problems at all.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
have to agree. if you are happy with it and it is a solid vehicle then keep it. they do last for forever and a day.

another option is to possibly fit the higher end models interior and so forth into the car.
that way its still the same base but has more of the "better looking" components.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
have to agree. if you are happy with it and it is a solid vehicle then keep it. they do last for forever and a day.

another option is to possibly fit the higher end models interior and so forth into the car.
that way its still the same base but has more of the "better looking" components.
Good idea. I added bling to mine by adding car seat covers, and leather and chrome bits on the inside, Monaro style headlights and just a touch of 'nightshade' to the rears. It came with factory tinted windows but if your's didn't it always looks nice. Some non stock wheels and "ta-da" a 'new look'.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
VY Series II Calais!!!

If you can find one get one with an L67 or LS1.

They are rare, but there's a low km one on carsales at the moment. Silver with black leather, L67 and sunroof. Best pick of any commodore (L67 or LS1 from VT through to VZ in my opinion.

R

Risky

I guess it all depends on your budget what you want & if you wanted to do tasteful upgrades to your VX.

If you were to get another VX or VY, choose a Calais whether it be a V6 or V8. Ones that are fully optioned are the way to go. Ones I've seen online for sale vary in kms & condition.

If you are to keep your VX, tasteful upgrades/refurbishing such as leather seats, steering wheel, gear knob etc are good. Be aware that leather seats cost the earth & may take time to find a good set. In the end if you are to go this route, you'll still keep your VX & the upgrades are cheap when you compare with imported cars.

When upgrading bits of trim etc on my ute, it took a fair bit of time. eBay, wreckers & my local Holden Dealer spares section proved valuable. The only item that took the most time to acquire were the seats. I've replaced all the door rubbers, centre console, handbrake, gear knob, door inserts & even the glass. My intention during the rebuild was to have the ute as I wanted it as if I bought it fresh from the showroom in 2003 with the options I wanted. Including the respray, it's cost me a fair bit but I'm happy with the results. It has given me woes tracing a bad leak. My ute has done 240,000kms & it's as tight as it came off the production line. I've been offered a lot of money for my ute but I'm not selling it. It's the best Holden I've ever owned.