Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgraded diff

gmvf6l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 6.0
You need to look at it holistically

Your converter stall should be based of your cam, diff gears, engine power, and importantly what you use your car for, street? drags? 90% street 10% drags, this bit matters alot

If you mess this up you will have issues and the car will not perform optimally for what you mainly use the car for

Then, once you know what stall you require for your cam and diff gears, get the transmission tuned

It isn't as simple as just bolting random stuff in, but, if you do your research and speak to a "good" automatic transmission shop that does alot of performance stuff you will be fine

And then, if you add boost later on, especially PD, you may need to revisit the cam and stall

#science
Absolutely agree. All these mods were all completed at once. After getting it done, it still didn't satisfy me. So next step is diff change to the tru trac and gears then see how I feel after that, if I'm still not happy with the performance it's giving then I'll be looking into bigger cam and stall

gmvf6l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 6.0
Thanks everyone for your feedback I've decided to go with the 3.4s.

Since I've already got a thread going is an 25% underdrive pulley kit and performance plugs and leads worth it? Or waste of money?

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
IMHO I wouldn't bother.

Presuming a "dime a dozen" aftermarket cam, a 2800 - 3500 stall will wake up the car considerably. If you're not smoking the tyres from a punch on the throttle in 3rd doing 40km/h, you will be with a stall :cool:

gmvf6l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 6.0
IMHO I wouldn't bother.

Presuming a "dime a dozen" aftermarket cam, a 2800 - 3500 stall will wake up the car considerably. If you're not smoking the tyres from a punch on the throttle in 3rd doing 40km/h, you will be with a stall :cool:
Haha well that's the overall plan, just not sure it's possible quite yet with only 310rwkw and diff gears. I might need the stall and it's already a 5 week wait as apparently they build them to order will eventually get there lol

Reactions: Lex

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Just a word of warning with the stall, see if they can build it with lock up frictions that are designed for continuous slip. Obviously the slip is tuned out, but they make the engagement a lot smoother and is much easier to tune lock up overall which will save you a few trips back and forward to your tuner. A re-stalled 6L90 converter is a good choice.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks everyone for your feedback I've decided to go with the 3.4s.

Since I've already got a thread going is an 25% underdrive pulley kit and performance plugs and leads worth it? Or waste of money?
Underdrive balancer is kinda worth it but wait until you need a new one before replacing it. Use standard NGK plugs. Stock leads are fine.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Obviously a massive change to take off? How's it feel at 100kmh
Definitely more punchy off the line

It revs maybe 1000-1500 higher on freeway which at first annoyed me, but used to it now