Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading factory system

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
OK it's time for some decent sounds for my ride.

i want to upgrade the factory speakers and fit a decent sub in the boot. was considering replacing the factory rear speakers with some new 6" jobies and and 10 inch sub in the boot running of a amp. can i use a single amp to power both the sub and the 6" speakers in the tray or do i need to use seperate amps? was considering using a jaycar presision responce amp these seem to be a good little unit

any suggestions/advice?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
don't you get a better sound quality if you run the rear 6" speakers from a amp also?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Yes but your speaker choice is extremely limited. Both the sub and the speakers would need to run at the same impedance which with speakers is generally 4ohm and you're limiting what speakers/subs you can buy as they'd need to match up in power specs for optimal performance (and most subs are atleast 150wrms, which puts the price of the speakers up also as not many lower end models are rated that high. But at the same time if you get an amp that puts out 50wrms which is the same rating as the speakers, its not really sufficient for a 150wrms sub).

Rear speakers are only really for rear fill, so sound quality is not a massive issue and neither is volume. They will run decent off the headunit providing you have a MOSFET 50x4 headunit of alright quality.

You could look at a 5 channel amp (not sure what Jaycar offer there) and then get some good front speakers for sound quality, some cheapy rears and a decent 10" sub that can all be run off the 5 channel amp.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
The Jaycar Precision Response 4x50 amps are a great little unit, and do a fantastic job of powering a sub and 2 speakers.

Bridge 2 channels to run the sub, and replace and amplify the front speakers. Leave the rear speakers to run off the head unit, you don't need them to be loud. There's a bit of work in running the wires, but it's a very simple matter to connect it all up.

Obviously it's not going to give you competition performance but it will be an enormous improvement over factory.