Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

rjhoomuck

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 60th anniversary 2008
I have been doing a lot of research for the aftermarket stereo. Alpine was 1500 but i hated the look of the HVAC. Vlad had the ipod integration but i am not happy with the limited functions from the Ipod. I finally came accross with the one developped in the US for the pontiac G8 and they advised that it should fit in the car. All the kit is touch screen inlcuding the HVAC as well. the finish look is great as well. Its around 650 for the kit ( facia wiring and HVAC control)

https://www.facebook.com/G8Designs

The only thing i need to find out if the kit needs reprogramming with this system.If anyone could help me out if reprogramming is needed?

Thanks
Roshan

Dewfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SS S2 sportswagon
Thanks mate, that really helped me out a lot. The only thing I'd like to add is, I noticed before I glued the new tweeter to the old one, that the magnets were wanting to grab each other. To overcome this I cut right around the side of the old tweeter till I got the magnet, then levered the back off of the tweeter. I then grabbed the magnet with a pair of multi grips and twisted the magnet off. You're now left with the bare tweeter shell to stick onto.

rossymond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS SPORTWAGON - ORDERED!
That g8 kit looks very good but jeez it's a lot of extra cash on top of a new head unit and other accessories

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
Hey guys, considering upgrading my speaker system in my ssv wagon.
Biggest issue for me is where to mount a sub...

Quite often I lay the back seats down to go away and need the space, so having a big sub sitting in the back is out of the question.

So has anyone got any suggestions where I could mount 1 or 2 slim line subs?

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Manual Sportswagon
Hey guys, considering upgrading my speaker system in my ssv wagon.
Biggest issue for me is where to mount a sub...

Quite often I lay the back seats down to go away and need the space, so having a big sub sitting in the back is out of the question.

I am interested in this also.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon

I went through this about 3 years ago, I read through below thread looking for ideas and the best I can up with was a slim sub in enclosure with builtin amp (soundstream make one - USB-8A, that seem ok on reviews) not sure how it would go in wagon cabin, seemed to be design for utes small cabins. In the end I gave up on the idea as I didn't want to spend time and money on an 8" sub that doesn't have much if an impact.

Nb: I needs my boot space, it normally has a pram and a stroller in it.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=17657

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon

I just saw in Car Audio section, Tasmaniak suggest a bass tube for a VE ute, how about one of these in the back of the wagon, drivers side, near tail light, in front of that netted storage compartment? (no idea how good bass tubes are, but a possible option)

ssv styles

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SSV
I have had mates put slim line subs under the front seats..but not in a commodore. There may be some room issues.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I just saw in Car Audio section, Tasmaniak suggest a bass tube for a VE ute, how about one of these in the back of the wagon, drivers side, near tail light, in front of that netted storage compartment? (no idea how good bass tubes are, but a possible option)
The benfit of that would be is the bass tubes I've used in the past allow for you to completly unplug the system safely with no risk of damage or fire. One plug contains Power, Ground and Remote while the other is either RCA or HiLevel input plug. Then the whole thing comes away and you can run the cables out of the way.

SIR V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS L98
Don't mean to revive an old thread lol, but just tried the polarity swap for the sub connections on the Cal, and the sound difference is definitely massive. The bass response really is astounding for a pair of budget 8" subs!
I didn't want to go cutting wires however, so instead, all I did after removing back seat and shelf, was simply unplug speaker connectors.
Once there are out, there is a little binding clip on the top side of connector, using a small sharp pointed tool I have for phone repairs I just popped that upward which allows the retaining clips inside the connector holding metal spades inside to be released. Swapped them around and it's done. When plugged back in everything looks factory, which is just how I like I it!
If anyone is after pics to do as above, can post some pics...