Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VR V6 brakes to V8 or possible VT conversion

on_d_tox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS spac S2
Hi there.

I currently have a VR V6 with ABS, and would like to upgrade the brakes to V8, at the least.

Now, I seem to have trouble sourcing a VR V8 brake booster, and master cylinder WITH ABS to put in. So it makes me wonder, was there a double diaphram booster and 1" master cylinder made to suit ABS?

Now because I'd like to get my brakes feeling better, if a V8 setup with ABS is out of the question, the next choice really for me, is to put a VT system in it. That brings a few questions.

1. What will I need?
2. Would there be a difference between a VT V6 and V8 setup?
3. Will a VT setup work with my VR ABS?
4. Will it all fit under the 15" rims I've currently got on the car?
5. With the upgrade, is it only the booster, master cylinder, and front calipers that get changed? Do the front discs get changed too?
6. Do the rear brakes get touched at all?

Thanks, Cameron

i have VT front brakes on my car just the discs and calipers you dont need to upgrade the booster or anything for that matter all you need is the discs, calipers, and the modified brake lines, they work fine off the standard vs booster and master cylinder its the best upgrade i have done and im as happy as a pig in Sh!t

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Uh because you need a line coming from your master cylinder to your abs module in order to get fluid to it. You are wanting to upgrade because the feel of the brake isn't good enough. But you only want to upgrade your brake booster and master cylinder. You do know that without doing your rotors as well you really aren't going to see much difference?

Yes, I understand the M/C TO the ABS module, but I don't understand the difference between an ABS master cylinder, and a non-abs master cylinder.

And I don't just want to do M/C and Booster, it's just what I'd like first. Once I get those, I'll be putting in new rotors and pads as well, with reconditioned calipers.

i have VT front brakes on my car just the discs and calipers you dont need to upgrade the booster or anything for that matter all you need is the discs, calipers, and the modified brake lines, they work fine off the standard vs booster and master cylinder its the best upgrade i have done and im as happy as a pig in Sh!t

Do you have a 15/16", or 1" master cylinder?
Did you get a long pedal after upgrading to the VT calipers?

Anyway, scratch the booster, I got told last night that I've already got a double diaphram booster in it, so it's just the master cylinder I'm looking for right now.

VR=355

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 355ci
ABS and non ABS are the same master cylinder, how many outlets they utilise is different.
Have done the VT front conversion on my VR and drove it for a while using the stock V8 master/booster and the brakes were ok.
I then upgraded to a VT master and VS plastic booster and the brakes are now fantastic. Well worth doing both, ABS is still fully functional.

Plenty has been posted about this conversion. Use the search function. I actually found the hardest part was cutting the backing plates so the calipers would fit.

Last edited:

on_d_tox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS spac S2
Yes, I understand the M/C TO the ABS module, but I don't understand the difference between an ABS master cylinder, and a non-abs master cylinder.

And I don't just want to do M/C and Booster, it's just what I'd like first. Once I get those, I'll be putting in new rotors and pads as well, with reconditioned calipers.

Do you have a 15/16", or 1" master cylinder?
Did you get a long pedal after upgrading to the VT calipers?

Anyway, scratch the booster, I got told last night that I've already got a double diaphram booster in it, so it's just the master cylinder I'm looking for right now.

no didnt get the long pedal the only mods i did was the rotors and calipers didnt need anything else

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E

Forget all what you think you know.

M/C is the same, V6, V8 abs and non ABS, only difference is where the extra line goes into the M/C for for ABS uses a blank off bolt insitu of the extra brake line.

Sounds like you just need a new M/C and a decent set of brake pads.

FYI I have owned both V6 and V8 VR and VS, nothing wrong with the brakes for street driving if you use decent pads and everything is working properly.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
no didnt get the long pedal the only mods i did was the rotors and calipers didnt need anything else

thats what i thought when i did it without the boos/mas change many years ago...pedal seemed ok ...just went a bit further when you jumped on them.....but change to vt booster/master and you realise the difference is massive and the car behaves soo much better...especially when you jump on them.

Gillyvrcalaisvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Calais
There is a massive amount of thread on upgrading brakes.

most v8 brakes are the same as v6 brakes, its only the big brake kit that's different in the different vr vs range. If U upgrade to VE brakes U don't have to change boosters or masters.
Hi ephect I have brought a VR Calais I’m not happy with the brakes I cleaned up rotors replaced pads as car was sitting for four years and had surface rust But still have to push 3/4 pedal to get it stop my question is changing to ve brakes what do u have to purchase to change to bolt on so to speak from VE to Vr thanks in advance

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
17s