Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upper control arms on VN Diff aftermarket or factory?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
^^LOL, i seen it too but i dont think its a red back. You gotta a awsome diff leak too.

beefcream

Lethal LOKKA
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5speed (project) VN exec v6 (daily)
the boxed ones are a nolathane replacment part, i have the in mine
they look tons stronger lol but dunno on actual improments, i got them for the pressed bushers and because i was running a spool setup

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You talking about trailing arms i'm guessing? their main purpose is to stop forward and back movement of the diff if I'm correct.

The upper control arms serve two functions on the live rear axle Commodores. The first is to prevent the rear axle assembly from attempting to twist forward under accelleration. The second is to prevent lateral (sideways) movement of the axle when under way. That's why the two upper arms are angled outwards and not parallel with the car. It's not a very effective way of locating the axle and when the bushes clap out, the axle can move heaps sideways. That's where the Panhard rod does its job.

Holdens from HQ had rear coils and no panhard rod. Their rear axles could get really loose with age.

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
the boxed ones are a nolathane replacment part, i have the in mine
they look tons stronger lol but dunno on actual improments, i got them for the pressed bushers and because i was running a spool setup

Could you take some pictures if you have some time on your hands :)

The upper control arms serve two functions on the live rear axle Commodores. The first is to prevent the rear axle assembly from attempting to twist forward under accelleration. The second is to prevent lateral (sideways) movement of the axle when under way. That's why the two upper arms are angled outwards and not parallel with the car. It's not a very effective way of locating the axle and when the bushes clap out, the axle can move heaps sideways. That's where the Panhard rod does its job.

Holdens from HQ had rear coils and no panhard rod. Their rear axles could get really loose with age.

So if the tailshaft was hitting the floor near diff under back seat could this be the course? cause alot of people replace the tailshaft centre bearings i did on my old VN and it still did it.
I just might grab them, i was looking for an adjustable panhard bar but there were none :(

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
The upper control arms serve two functions on the live rear axle Commodores. The first is to prevent the rear axle assembly from attempting to twist forward under accelleration.

That would be backwards, top arms are under tension when accelerating, and yes they stop the diff rotating forward when braking.

The second is to prevent lateral (sideways) movement of the axle when under way. That's why the two upper arms are angled outwards and not parallel with the car. It's not a very effective way of locating the axle and when the bushes clap out, the axle can move heaps sideways. That's where the Panhard rod does its job.

Commodore rear end looks pretty parallel to me (thats why they need the panhard bar, for lateral location), think you are thinking of Torana and HQ.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
The upper control arms serve two functions on the live rear axle Commodores. The first is to prevent the rear axle assembly from attempting to twist forward under accelleration.

Don't you mean the pinion will try and rotate upwards on acceleration?
Close, but no cigar.

The second is to prevent lateral (sideways) movement of the axle when under way. That's why the two upper arms are angled outwards and not parallel with the car. It's not a very effective way of locating the axle and when the bushes clap out, the axle can move heaps sideways. That's where the Panhard rod does its job.

WTF?

Did two different people type that?
A panhard rod is an acceptable method of diff housing location, IMO not as good as a watts link or a sliding wishbone, but it does its job.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Don't you mean the pinion will try and rotate upwards on acceleration?
Close, but no cigar.

WTF?

Did two different people type that?
A panhard rod is an acceptable method of diff housing location, IMO not as good as a watts link or a sliding wishbone, but it does its job.

Yep, I'll admit my thinking was out with the upper arms, but what's your point regarding the panhard rod? I was saying that Commodores have them, HQ's onwards didn't (meaning HQ to WB, not Commodores.) The HQ had the angled upper arms to act as lateral locaters for the rear axle, but it wasn't very effective. The comment I made regarding the angle of those arms doesn't apply to Commies, I realised that after posting, as they are parallel, but the Commie has the panhard rod to do the lateral locating job.

You're right about the Panhard rod not being the best means of locating a live rear axle, but that's all you got with the Commodore.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
i have the nolathane upper control arms in my commy and ive had no problems with them,
just wondering when drag cars set up there adjustable upper control arms, do the lengthen them or shorten them?