Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

URGENT: 17'' mag question

H

hypo_v6

Hey guys, just wondering i have a 1990 VN commodore and im planning on buying some 17 inch mags with 235/45 rubber on them,whats the biggest rubber i can go (e.g. 245?) and im just wondering my car has been lowered a little and am wondering, these will should fit straight under without clearance issues? and they won't scrap going around corners etc?

picture can be seen of my vn at www.cardomain.com/id/hypo_v6,

mags on it now are 15 inch 205/65 rubber. . .

thanks for the replies

hypo_v6

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vy Senator Signature 5.7lt auto
I have a Vp calais with 17s on it and they scrap if i have 4 or 5 people in it and when i turn. I have been told this is because i have Independant real suspension. That model vn does not have this so i dont no what it would be like. I have 235/45 tyres. One this that reduced the rubbing was by bashing out the guards on the wheel tubs.
Hope this will help

Parsout

Reaction score
Website
www.parsout.com
Yes, you will have problems, only on the rear guards however - the front guards should be fine.

The VN rear guard gas a lip on it like:

|
|__

You either need to:

1. Get it rolled - however, it creates a rounded loop which can still rub with people on the back seat or:
2. jigsaw it off like this (below) and then roll the last little bit to form a tight edge:

|
|_

I have 18x8.5' on my VN and enacted option 2 - not a sound to be heard even with people in the back.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Just_Ice

Reaction score
Get your guards rolled much nicer than jigsaw..

I've seen lowered VNs with 20's on them........

you will fit 17's under there piece of piss.....

From the looks of your pics you'll be lucky if 17's will actually go up under the guards anyways..... You need to dump it some more....

H

hypo_v6

Thanks for all your help. . . i have order my mags they are 17 x 7.5 and the rubber on them is going too be 225/45 so hopefully it wont scrap too much. . i dont carry too many people in my car alot of the time anyway. . . this has been an arguement with my dad as i think they will fit fine, he believes not!

so its a few days till i get them and hopefully they will fit fine. . i do expect some scraping but hopefully not a lot

thanks for all your help. . .

vn with 20's :b: why didn't i buy some myself

lol bye guys

hypo_v6

H

hypo_v6

last question . . what kind of prices am i looking at to get my guards rolled??

thanks for the help

hypo_v6

B

Big_Red

wheels

yeah im just about to fit 17 inch vt ss wheels shopuld they fit?