Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

URGENT HELP! my VR wagon is deadlocked.

ninja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hi

My brother accidentally deadlocked my VR wagon by turning the key anti-clockwise to a horizontal position on the driver's side door this afternoon. Now everything is stuffed, I am unable to unlock the car with my remote nor the key.

I suspected he activated the microswitch which kill off the remote and central locking system.

Is there anyway to deactivate the microswitch other than removing the trim from inside?

I've tried to manually turn the key on the driver's side door, it is completely stuck. Already tried to disconnect the battery and reconnect again, still unable to unlock the car.

Do you think I need to call Locksmith, RACV or get a towed to a mechanic to get it fixed?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Leon

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
You need to manually turn the key position back to vertical with the key to re-activate it.
Try lubing the lock with Graphite, WD40, Inox or White Lithium Grease. Then be patient with trying to turn the key in the lock.
I hope that helps!

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
It pays to occasionally use the key in the door just to keep it all working

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I had the same issue with the VS......the lock hadn't been used in years and was stiff as hell.

I bought some graphite powder from my local hardware store and haven't had an issue yet (I wouldn't go putting sprays etc in the locks as some can damage them)

And as said above, I actually use the deadlock every now and then just to keep the lock moving.

ninja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Thanks for your replies. I sprayed some wd40 to the key hole this morning, the lock still won't turn.

Will head off to the local hardware store to get graphite powder and give it another go.

What about getting a new replacement key? Does it help with a newer key? My existing keys are quite worn, not sure whether it'd make a difference.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
If the pins in the lock are sticking the WD40 is OK to use and is the method I have used to free sticking lock cylinders in the past. It tends to wash the grease out of the lock barrel - in this case that's a good thing because the grease is likely to be paste-like and hang the pins up in the cylinder. In general though, a liquid lubricant like that tends to disappear over time and to attract dirt and dust in the meantime so using graphite powder is the better solution for maintaining the lock. When you get it unstuck you can pull the lock apart, clean it of the old grease and relube it if you want to.

The key being worn will not help but as the key turned to the deadlock position in the first place it will be possible to turn it back again. It will help to jiggle the key in the lock while attempting to turn it (the key) to encourage the lock pins to move and to stay in the positions where they will allow the lock cylinder to turn in the barrel. Finesse rather than brute force is needed.

ninja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Okay I've fixed it!!! I managed to use the spare key to unlock it after numerous wiggling, jiggling, up and down. The original key is fairly worn and felt very loose when trying to unlock it.

Lesson learnt - never use the deadlock.

Much appreciated everyone's helpful advice :)

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
Okay I've fixed it!!! I managed to use the spare key to unlock it after numerous wiggling, jiggling, up and down. The original key is fairly worn and felt very loose when trying to unlock it.

Lesson learnt - never use the deadlock.

Much appreciated everyone's helpful advice :)
USE IT more often