Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent help needed please

BOA32

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS 3.8L V6 EXECUTIVE - 4SPEED AUTO - SEDAN
My VX 2001 V6 3.8L has been playing up, first up. It stalled and i had nothing(no power) and wouldnt even turn over, so I left it about an hour and it started but ran like a piece of **** spluttering and carrying on, so I got it towed home and got a mobile mechanic to put a diagnostic computer on it and the test showed 2x faults #1. Crank Angle Sensor #2. Mass Air Flow Sensor(MAF). So I went and installed a new Crank Angle Sensor and it wasnt fixed, SO I then went and fitted a new MAF Sensor and it was still carrying on, so today I have fitted a 2nd hand "Throttle Body" fitted with "Throttle Position Sensor" + "Idle Air Control Valve" + "Mass Air Flow Sensor(MAF)" and also the "Intake Air Temperature Sensor", All of these 2nd hand parts were tested on another VX and worked fine. I have also fitted a new "Fuel Filter" and listened for the "Fuel Pump" which seems to be working fine. I have checked all of the Fuses(FINE) and checked out the connections/plugs(FINE), also checked the battery connections(FINE)......AND ITS STILL NOT RUNNING PROPERLY....It sounds like its sucking WAY TOO MUCH AIR through the air filter and when I push on the accelerator it backfires at the air box, splutters and carries on, then after a few seconds it shuts the engine down,, I just dont know what else to do and im quickly running out of money to keep buying new parts and get mobile mechanics to give me a diagnosis which doesnt work. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS ??? any help would be greatly appreciated as IM GOING CRAZY

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
stalled and wont turn over is not cas or maf
it is starter, battery ign switch auto inhibit switch etc
running rough and air noise sounds like pipe/hose under throttle body to rear vacuum tree
did this start after fuel filter change or before ie is filter on correct way around

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Lol starter motor has nothing to do with stalling

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
obviously more than one fault
was not suggesting starter caused car to stall
a car that wont crank until has cooled is usually a bad starter

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Check the purge hose under the throttle body to the rear drivers side head ( both ends and 90deg elbows)
The intake pipe from Airbox to throttle body for splits/ cracks / especially round the clamps and joins
The 3 vacuum lines at the back of the plenum and the booster hose
These are the usual air leak suspects .
Split in Air-box
If it's backfired into the Airbox it might have destroyed your MAF sensor aswell ,

Is the MAF and filter in the right way and not upside down

D

devilly

QUOTE : .It sounds like its sucking WAY TOO MUCH AIR through the air filter and when I push on the accelerator it backfires at the air box, splutters and carries on, then after a few seconds it shuts the engine down

Battery reset via disconnecting it for 30 mins worth a try and free :) does it idle okay ?? can you leave it on idle and see if you can hear any air leaks.

check out what billythakid said as i feel it's something to do with that or electrical like a sensor not connected properly.

or the fine little wirer's inside the maf have broken and are not being read by the iat sensor.

hope you find the problem and solve it :)

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
I can't comment on the power (electrical) loss but the other symptoms i have seen with a faulty coil pack but on a LPG driven car (and i think that may make the difference)and they happened all at once worked good then same symptoms. the backfire in that case blew the air filter box up cracked the top cover and split the air line between the maf and throttle body

Ozkiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Series II Sedan
I had a similar issue Timing on a 1999 V6 VT Wagon, I thought it was either the DFI Module or the CAS (Crank Angle Sensor) but it turned out to be the Cam Angle Sensor. This is the one under the water pump and above the Crank Pulley.

A 10mm bolt needs to be undone and a wire connector unplugged, then install a new one.

It cost me $55.00 from Bursons.

I hope this is helpful.

andycerice

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vt commodore
I also have a gremlin in my vt keeps stalling when warm have put new CAS in new fuel filter new battery and still stalls sometimes just dies other times coughs and splutters any ideas would be great have checked and plenty of spark between coils also

BOA32

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS 3.8L V6 EXECUTIVE - 4SPEED AUTO - SEDAN
,I changed my MAFF sensor - Throttle Control Sensor - Idle Control Valve - Fuel Filter - Fuel Pump - Crank Angle Sensor & Temp Sensor. I'm pretty sure the problem was the Fuel Pump but they're a pain to access because u need to drop the fuel tank,make sure u label the hoses on fuel pump before removing them and don't just mark them with permanent marker (like I did) because the fuel will remove the marks and u be up **** creek I had to drop the tank down 3 times before I got it correct,if still doesn't run good just hold the accelerator flat to the floor (redline) for about 5seconds no longer to blow any blockages in fuel hoses out, after that it should run perfect(mine did anyways)