Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent help needed!

Salmon

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Berlina
im trying to remove my vt's dash but when i try to remove the face around the gear stick etc, i cannot get it off. i have electric windows and where the 4 switches are it gets stuck when trying to lift the whole unit. it is kinda hard to explain. do i have to remove the 4 switches first? if so does anyone know how to?

many thnx, salmon

VRSen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s
You put your hand under the switches and push them through the housing then unplug them.

VRSen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s
or if you can have a look under the switches from the gearstick side and you can see the plug just push button in and wiggle it out and its out no problems

Salmon

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Berlina
or if you can have a look under the switches from the gearstick side and you can see the plug just push button in and wiggle it out and its out no problems

i cant even get under the switches thats the problem. i cant get the face around the gear stick and the switches off the center console.

VRSen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s
so the gearstick boot you cant get out either.

Well the easy way is push the know back on grab it tight and yank up the boot is only held in by a plastic circle thing with push out clips (You will understand once you get it off)

Other way is working from the front of the gearstick boot push it gently towrds the rear and lift up at same time

VRSen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s
once you get the gearstick boot out you will see what i mean with the window switches.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You need to prise the switch block out before you can get the console cover off. I use a thin screwdriver wrapped in cloth to avoid scratching anything.

VRSen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s
i took mine of yesterday and have done it six or seven times in my car (playing around with clusters and stereo) and removed many many more working at the wreckers and the best way is you take the gear stick boot out and you can push the window switches up with your fingers with ease no chance of scratching anything.

Auto different story you are right with the way you suggested.

Salmon

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Berlina
hey thanx everyone for your help.
after about an hour of pushing, pulling, swearing and yelling it finally poped off. i was about to give up.

when i got the face off eventually, i found a weird amount of tiny wood chips underneath the console? haha random aye. oh well gonna give it a good vacume tomorrow.

thnx again everyone

VRSen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s
Im guessings its a manual by your first post saying gearstick.

I accidently found the easy way when going hard sideways using gearstick as support (so i didnt fall out the window :rofl2:) the knob and boot just flew of thats when i learnt there just push on.