Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

***urgent warning about ebay***

mjd1810

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais&vl exec
anyone with an account on ebay should check this out,someone named auctionhouse had set themselves up as 3rd party on my account without my permission please guys and gals look into it,i got this in an email

found out that someone had placed a 'third party authorisation' on my account and was using it to buy items off ebay without my say so. they were basically using my ID to send other sellers emails and asking them to reply to an alternative email address (their own). I wouldn't have known except I was randomly checking my preferences and under the third party authorisations there was a name! I emailed ebay and I have had to change my password with them and also my passwords to paypal and my email account - frightening. I would tell everyone to check under third party authorisations in your preferences and if there is a name there you don't recognise check it off and email ebay immediately - I have said to them they should at least send the seller an email when a third party authorisation is requested so this can't happen

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Thanks,found the same problem.Mine was Keysoft PTY LTD.sorted it out,thanks heaps.Adam.

Mr Squishi

Need Beer.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN SS (Auto)
That sort of dodgy stuff is why I don't use Ebay. Well, that and having no money.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
You need to always be careful with eBay. Here's a few more tips to help people out:

1. If you're the type who wouldn't be able to tell if a website is really eBay or pretending to be eBay I would recommend SpoofStick. It's a toolbar you install into your internet browser and it tells you exactly what website you're on in an easy to understand way, quite handy and can never be too safe.

2. eBay will never ask you for your password. Also be weary of offers to become a powerseller as my parents get fake emails like this every day.

3. If you get asked strange questions respond to them as best you can but also be weary, if you think something is suspicious tick the box which says "don't send my email address". I never send my email, and not strangely I've never received a "spoofing"/"phishing" email. Can't say the same for my parents account though ^_^

4. One of the best ways to not get scammed is to know how the scams work. Some recommended reading: here and here.

5. If something seems to good to be true, it usually is.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I'd recommend people just check their ebay accounts, today to find out he has 2 of them, and one has actually been there since Feb 2005.. !!

fluxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
i just checked my ebay account and it also had a 3rd party authorisation for 'auctionworks'

i revoked the auth and sent ebay an email asking wtf?

thanks for the heads up mjd1810 :thumbsup:

matt

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
I think Auctionworks is a partner of Ebay though and not an unauthorised seller, it's probably just software, etc to make pages load faster, check-outs, etc

I'd be more concerned if it was Keysoft or Auctionhouse, etc

I've used Ebay a lot and never had dramas, mind you I've always been pedantic about internet security, firewalls, etc anyway so no one is getting my information in a hurry anyway

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
im fed up with ebay, imo theres too many 'systems' ruinning it and not enough humans.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Just checked mine and also had two, hmmmm.