Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent water pump replacement

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Hi I'm replacing a waterpump for a friends vz. I have to just done my own on my ve and is exactly the same. However I'll also be replacing the 2 o-rings for the filler neck, the car is done 150,000kms and i just wanted to no because I'll be going to his house, do I have to use sealant on the gasket or bang it straight on? And also with those filler neck o-rings I'll have to lift the manifold, if they have paper gaskets for the inlet manifold is there a way to lift it without breaking the gasket?

pau13z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6L
If you're really careful lifting the plenum chamber you won't damage the gasket, but you have to be careful. Lift it slowly and get your mate to look under as it's lifting to see if either side is caught, if it is, stop before you rip it.

From memory, you don't need to put any sealant on the water pump gasket, but you can put a bit of RTV around the O-ring and seal just to help seal it up a little better.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Being 150,000 kms I hope he has had his spark plugs done and had metal gaskets fitted. Otherwise I don't think I'll attempt the o-rings

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Also draining coolant and bleeding it Is different to the ve??

VXSS32

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
If you undo all the bolts except the one at the back on the drivers side and the one at the front on the passenger side you actually undo the plenum and injector holder par as one. The gasket is a plastic one not a paper one like the one in between. We do it at work all the time, saves pulling the plenum all the way off coz you can sit something under it to sit it out of the way. Hope that makes sense for ya? And the bleeding will be the same

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
And that will still give u access too the coolant filler neck to change the o-rings?

VXSS32

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
It should do. I not you can pull the plenum all the way off any way. But by not taking out those 2 bolts you wont wreck any gaskets