Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

USA LS1 to V6 swap

dezldave961

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
GTO 5.7 M6
Hello all. I've been around the U.S. 3800 Series 2/3 (ecotec) world for ~20yrs now, and finally decided on a RWD project. Originally, I was going to get a Firebird, but decided to get a little unique. I've always loved how the Holdens actually got a decent aftermarket going for their V6 models, while most of our V6 F-body crowd trend towards silly highschool kids or swapped LS V8's.
This summer, I bought a 2004 GTO LS1 M6 with the intent of swapping one of my big 3800 project engines into it. For now, that'll be my MP112-swapped Series III 3800 with some significant upgrades:
- Intense Stg4 cam ~0.600/0.601" and 235/238 duration
- Tischler heads with 1.90/1.58 valves and T&D rockers
...and all sorts of silliness to support that.

(don't mind the LS4 Grand Prix GXP that's getting sold after some fresh tires and a wash)
image.jpg

(compressed image of rough mock-up assembly, in front of my turbo Buick and spare 2007 Series 3 S/C engine)
IMG_20221203_224838480 crop.jpg

I was able to find inexpensive stainless 1999-04 Mustang 3.8 headers that bolt-up and may fit the GTO chassis, but I will most likely require a few parts sourced from AUS as I get closer to install (oil pan, motor mounts, taller valve covers, etc.). Depending on how much I try to fabricate, I may already have what I need by using mostly Camaro/Firebird 3800 accessories.

I invite any insights by you lucky folks who got to start with this platform. This isn't going to be rushed, as I'm still chasing an elusive 10-sec 1/4mi run with my Buick for the coming season, and will be practicing my "spirited" manual shifting with the LS1 until I add more power with the V6 swap (that's gonna be fun to say at meet-ups).

- Dave

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Geez .......... that is different. V8 to V6 conversion.
I suppose that you know that Australia had a supercharged 3800 V6 version of the Monaro ?
It sold 3/5 of 5/8 of stuff-all in comparison to the V8 sales, and was dropped from production early.

dezldave961

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
GTO 5.7 M6
Geez .......... that is different. V8 to V6 conversion.
I suppose that you know that Australia had a supercharged 3800 V6 version of the Monaro ?
It sold 3/5 of 5/8 of stuff-all in comparison to the V8 sales, and was dropped from production early.
Ya, the CV6 wasn't big, and neither were the 3800 F-body cars here. That's due to easier HP gains in the early years for an LS over a 3800 and support for modding a V8 over a V6. LS's enjoy an inherited aftermarket from LT/SBC world, and do great as a successor (especially the GenIV, which wasn't in the GTO).

It took a decade of pushing before we had 9-8-7sec 3800 cars, and Average Joe's like me could bolt together 500-600whp builds on stock block engines, so we could have 12-11-10sec street cars.

Bottom line: I'm dropping in a set-up that will be on par with a heads/cam LS1 build, for less investment (only because I already have the inventory). The LS would have more potential, obviously, but how much has to be overhauled to reliability go past 6-750hp on a stock Gen3 block? Either way, I'd be mothballing the stock 5.7 in favor of a 5.3-6.0 newer truck engine build, and that path has been beaten down by more guys than a Vegas hooker. I hope to have fun trying something different, and hopefully get a taste of what a few successful Aussies have done with their 3800 builds (it'll be turbo in a few years).

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hmmmm, I really want the Alloy intake from that L32. We never got those here down under. I think a banana's style intake manifold with a forward facing TB would look really cool in a Commodore.

Going to watch this little project with interest.

Reactions: Lex

dezldave961

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
GTO 5.7 M6
You'd be able to get L26 (Series III N/A) intake manifolds from USA ebay, and have something that'd look like an aluminum mini LS/Hemi-looking intake manifold. I bought a couple Holden L36 N/A intakes via Australian ebay over the years, and the Buick will be getting it back on for next year. Just need to confirm ebay shipping arrangement with seller beforehand.