Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using a VE Calais Radio in a G8

g8carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore from Pont G8
IF (and that's a big "if") I can find somebody to re-green it, is there any reason a radio I bought on eBay from a VE Calais would not work in my G8? I know Oz and the US use slightly different frequency separations, but that's workable (and changeable). It really only matters on AM and I don't really listen to AM radio.

thanx

c

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
It will work once it had your vin no Programmed. And volume button will be on the opposite side

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Depending on what model G8 you have (If you have the colour LCD screen fitted or not), there may be a couple of things to look out for.

Firstly the Radio frequency and and the knob positions are no biggie, as there is a hidden service menu where you can set these, without resorting to Tech2, EEPROM hacking

image.php

Note the Frequency and the RHD options :)

If you have the non colour LCD display model G8, then you will have the non climate control HVAC system.
(So you will need to source a Dual Zone Climate Control module, and hack it to think you have the required sensors for DZ operation).

Finally you will need the head unit programmed. (You will need to VIN match the headunit to your cars VIN number)
The easiest method would be to source an EEPROM programmer, download the current EEPROM, modify the VIN to your own vehicles, then upload back.

Info on hacking the HVAC Module.
www.carmodder.com • Converting to Automatic Climate Control for the Holden VE Commodore

And Info on programming the Headunit EEPROM.
www.carmodder.com • Programming the Colour LCD HVAC / Radio for the Holden VE Commodore

Any reason why you want a Calais headunit ?
(The only real difference between the Oz Calais headunit and the GXP G8 headunit is the NAV / Power button, and LED illumination)

Hope this helps ?

g8carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore from Pont G8
Thanks, Zerone_V. First off, the reason I bought the radio (and that was over a year ago) was the date display. I really dislike the US "middle-endianess" practice of dating. That means we start at the middle end, rather than the big or little end of a date -month day year. I prefer day month year and the radio I bought had pictures showing that date layout. Plus, it has a blue display, rather than red. I can't see the red at all wearing polarised sunglasses and it disappears in really bright sunlight even without sunglasses. But, that may be the combo of an LCD and polarisation, not the colour of the LCD display.

My car came with the climate control and colour radio, so that won't be an issue. I knew about the service menu and have changed my clock to 24-hour. I really prefer Commodore styling. I remember the first time I visited Oz in 2001 and saw my first Commodore. The front end looked very much like a Pontiac from the 80s with its spllt grille. I didn't like how bloated the Pontiac front-ends got in the mid-2000s, like they did to the Monaro to try to make it a Pontiac. Here is a link to some photos of what my car looks like, not quite a G8.
C Williamson's (sfcarl) Library | Photobucket

Last edited: