Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Auto - wont go into drive for 10secs

wanted7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exe
Hi,

When first start the car, it just wont go into gear, sometimes have to wait over 10secs. goes into reverse fine, i end up manually putting into first, then into drive.

Spoke to a mechanic, he said the auto must come out to fix it, Lookin around 880 - 1200. Said I can keep driving it but it is possible that I may loose drive all together.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues and got it fixed?

Cheers.

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SS-V Redline SportWagon, 2003 CV8R Monaro
Have you checked your gearbox oil level?

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
Sounds like your forward Clutches are worn or maybe some sort of Electrical Fault ie Solenoid etc.
How does it drive once its in Gear. Does it change gears smoothly or does it feel hesitant to change between gears.
Definatly check your Fluid Level as well. Get Engine Warm, leave ideling and Remove the Trans Dipstick, Clean it, stick it back in and pull out again - The Fluid should be in the Hot Crossed section. If its not, you may need to top it up. (Usually with Dexron III)

wanted7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exe
Thanks,
Once in gear there are no problems changing gears, yes unfortunately i never checked gearbox oil, but have since topped it up, it was near empty.

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
I had a similar problem with my VY.. It just needed some more fluid.. IMO, time for a proper gearbox flush/service.. Only costs about $110-130 from any reputable workshop..

-Nick.

VTCommoDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
I've got the same problem - lost 2nd gear and reverse. Aparently Holden make cheap ****ty gear boxes and haven't changed them since the days of the VN, just added a few gizmos.

There is a drive shaft (or something) that snaps off. It can happen to new or old Holdens. You will have to search long and hard to find a mechanic to replace the part, rather than replace the entire transmission. I am taking mine to Pier St Auto on Pier St. He was the only one who said he would replace the part - about $600-700.

wanted7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exe
Got the car serviced, found two leaks, cost $400 to fix and i am not having the problem anymore!

Thanks for the replies.

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
I've got the same problem - lost 2nd gear and reverse. Aparently Holden make cheap ****ty gear boxes and haven't changed them since the days of the VN, just added a few gizmos.

There is a drive shaft (or something) that snaps off. It can happen to new or old Holdens. You will have to search long and hard to find a mechanic to replace the part, rather than replace the entire transmission. I am taking mine to Pier St Auto on Pier St. He was the only one who said he would replace the part - about $600-700.

its the sun gear/shell failing, its quite common in GM trannys and makes you only have 1st and 3rd - no reverse, 2nd and overdrive. there's a site around that has heaps of info on it and methods (when rebuidling) to make it stronger but i can't find it anymore.