Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Crank no start after fuel rail change

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII berlina v6 auto sedan
Hello everyone I've run into a problem with an eco top end swap
I have a VT V6 that I've just put an entire intake on (lower , upper and fuel rails ) that came off a VS V6 (the guy I brought it Off had swapped it on his previously.
I unplugged all the fuel rails and then plugged the new ones in when I out the rail on (in the correct sequence ) but now it won't fire off at all just cranks and cranks and cranks.
Everything was bolted back how it was meant to but I don't know there's no signs of life in there at all.
Someone help I was told to block the line that goes to the back of the fuel pressure regulator but that's a vacuum line I thought

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Checked fuel pump is priming? Any fuel in the fuel rails? TPS is okay or plugged in properly?

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
Checked fuel pump is priming? Any fuel in the fuel rails? TPS is okay or plugged in properly?
Everything Is plugged in , I'm gonna re tear down the fuel rails and put back all the stuff thst was from the vt originally with new injectors as I believe the vs needs a charcoal canister to run properly and I'm not retrofitting one in from a vs
On a side note does anyone know if there's any differences between a vt and a vs manifold

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Why did you do the top swap in the first place?

Vt manifolds have erg from exhaust to upper manifold behind the throttle. VS doesn't and needs to be blocked off.

If your old rail and injectors were fine, swap them back in to see if she fires.

Vt will have a charcoal canister as well.

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride

Vt manifolds have erg from exhaust to upper manifold behind the throttle. VS doesn't and needs to be blocked off.

If your old rail and injectors were fine, swap them back in to see if she fires.

If it does have a charcoal canister where would it be ? The top swap was done because the gasket surface on the old one was damaged and wouldn't seal properly so I got an entire one off a VS
As for the EGR I used the original plenum so I didn't run into issues with the EGR
The injectors aren't fine they're f**ked but they will work enough to fire it if it is fuel rail

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Canister should be front drivers side, but unsure on the VT. You can follow the line from the purge solenoid at the back of the driver's side head.

May be worth getting new injectors but I'd suggest swapping them out to your originals to see if it fires then you know the 2nd set are screwed or not.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
if its fuel pressure related you cant buy new vs fpr anymore thats one reason why swapping vs to vt vy fuel rails is very common unless you a fit an after market one like i have done

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
I think charcoal canister is in the rear near fuel tank.

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride

The top swap was done because the manifold I had was corroded and pitted from the gaskets being cooked. It wasn't sealing properly so it was done with a vs one because it's all I had at the time , it works perfectly fine for what it is it's the exact same as the VT.

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick update for everybody so this thread can be left as is.
I had the fuel lines around the wrong way (rookie mistake but I'm still learning)
Ran with the vs injectors hooked up same way as the vt ones but ran bad (later figured out it was plug leads being mixed up)
I re fitted the stock injectors and rail and After fixing the plug leads it ran fine I appreciate everyone's advice , next time I'm gonna do a through inspection before I come running at the forum.
Also someone mentioned the fitments issue with the egr , I used the VTS plenum so I didn't encounter any fitment issues with anything in regards to that
I'll put the vs injectors and rail back in to see if they run good because it wasn't ticking with them in after that I'll drop 300 on Bosch ones from supercheap for the factory rail so I can maintain the performance it was designed for
Thanks everybody for your advice again to clear up me sounding like an idiot I know where the charcoal canister is near the fuel tank I knew that to begin with , I was talking about the one fitted in the engine bay of the VS (it could also be the evaporative emissions cannister I think)