Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Exhaust - Post here

Peter89

Reaction score
Members Ride
'90 S1 VN 3.8L A4 Wagon
removed the rear muffler, its good but i have an exhaust note always not just under load. its not that loud either, so will probably remove the middle muffler and have a rear muffler instead.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Pacemaker extractors into "high flow" cats, twin 2.5" with a muffler in each pipe twin 3" from diff back..

amazing sound.. loud as when you give it but holding speed theres zero drone or exhaust noise inside

Will get a decent vid up tomorrow.. tried tonight but its too dark lol

Photo0103.jpg

Hey, dont know how I missed this post, but how does it sound and go with the rear pipe straight through?? been thinking of doing it for a while now...

Either the rear resi or both the middle mufflers?????

RedGoesFaster97VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S II
Storm192 - thanks for that ill give that place a look =)

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1
gday guys

got a stock 03 vy v6 and looking at the exhaust to get some more sound out of it, i know i cant do much to the power on an apprectice budget :p

ive been looking at the redback and lukey 2.5 exhaust systems on ebay, aparently a straight bolt on job, but there's no rear muffler. do i need one or is the straight pipe ok to just weld up a tip and drive away? confusing reading all the gear on here to b honest:bang:may aswell just ask the question lol

any help would b great :w00t:

storm192

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Storm
hey mate, at the end of the day what you need is up to you.. i recommend reading through this forum and doing a bit of research on what differant muffler styles and resinators actually do and the video's are a great help as well. I was asking the same question only a couple of weeks ago and found the more i understood the more i was able to make a decision. Its all been said before but it will be a fair bit louder without the rear muffler or resinator and the sound you get without one depends a bit on whether you have auto or manual and you'll probably get some drone.

Each to their own though and thats only my opinion and if your not confident in your decision after some reading id go see your exhaust shop, hope that helps, cheers

white vyII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S Ute
Hey, dont know how I missed this post, but how does it sound and go with the rear pipe straight through?? been thinking of doing it for a while now...

Either the rear resi or both the middle mufflers?????

Yer didnt see this post got a clip of it? much drone?

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1
Is drone nessaseraly a bad thing? or is it another 'to each there own' senario?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
From what I've gathered over the years, its pretty much an ''each to their own'' senario, (like you said) if you have too much it can get very annoying over a long period of time, sitting at the same revs non stop = freeway long drives, kinda gives you a headache if its cazy loud..

But everyone has their own definition on whats a satifactory compromise of sound (engine noise) to drone, some like it very droney, while others prefer not much to no drone at all,

Personally I prefer less drone more engine noise, but on a V6 its a tricky thing to get right...

-ToM-

Bow Down to the Emperor!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec [EMPIR3]
Swapped the muffler out today.

Turns out my muffler was a Glass pack Dogleg.

The new 8x4" muffler is a tad deeper, but not as much as i was after. The note sounds alot better though.

I give up, not spending any more on the exhaust, it can sound like it does now permanently