Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 extractor difference question

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
I know this has prbably been asked a few times but over a quick scan at a couple of pages i couldn't find the exact answer im after..

I've read a little about v8 extractors, how generally 4-1 is low end and tri-y is mopre towards top end etc.

Just wondering what extractor type to get for a VX ecotec?? mainly the type, and also a recommended brand? cheers in advance.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I know this has prbably been asked a few times but over a quick scan at a couple of pages i couldn't find the exact answer im after..

I've read a little about v8 extractors, how generally 4-1 is low end and tri-y is mopre towards top end etc.

Just wondering what extractor type to get for a VX ecotec?? mainly the type, and also a recommended brand? cheers in advance.

The opposite actually, but they are pretty much the same up to around 3500rpm, then the 4-1's will keep the torque curve rising while the tri Y's tend to drop off.

For a V6, it doesn't matter. They are all 3-1 anyway. It will just depend on how much you want to spend and whether or not you are hung up on brand.

As an example, I do a set of Hurricane extractors for $440 shipped. Or a set of Wildcats for $450 shipped. The Wildcats are press bent, but they have a slip join and can be fitted without a welder. They aslo have the EGR boss for the EGR pipe. The Hurricanes are mandrel bent, slightly larger primary, but have a flange that requires welding. Easier to fit though, takes about an hour.

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
The opposite actually, but they are pretty much the same up to around 3500rpm, then the 4-1's will keep the torque curve rising while the tri Y's tend to drop off.

For a V6, it doesn't matter. They are all 3-1 anyway. It will just depend on how much you want to spend and whether or not you are hung up on brand.

As an example, I do a set of Hurricane extractors for $440 shipped. Or a set of Wildcats for $450 shipped. The Wildcats are press bent, but they have a slip join and can be fitted without a welder. They aslo have the EGR boss for the EGR pipe. The Hurricanes are mandrel bent, slightly larger primary, but have a flange that requires welding. Easier to fit though, takes about an hour.

Oh okay mate, what would i need to install them? i was looking at something along the lines of these, also, what would be the difference performance wise between these to, as one set has longer 'primaries' i think it is..? Like where the bits join is further down.

Holden Commodore VT VU VX VY V6 3 8LT Ecotec Redback Extractors | eBay

Headers Extractors Holden Commodore VT VU VX VY With 3 8L V6 Ecotec Engine | eBay

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It depends on primary size. A long tube with small diameter pipe will be better for bottom end, where short tube large diameter pipe is better for top end. I'm talking 3-1 here, not V8 tri-Y vs 4-1.

However, cheap extractors are generally made with the incorrect sized primary for their design. Ideally, a good sized primary long tube is the best overall. On a V6, I'd recommend an 1 5/8" long tube design. The Hurricanes are this. Most manufacturers use 1 1/2" primary, while it's OK, it's not perfect. It all depends on why you want them and what mods you have.

Don't expect it be a rocket after fitting extractors though, it will gain a bit of acceleration, and make it sound a bit nicer, but your output will be about the same.

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
It depends on primary size. A long tube with small diameter pipe will be better for bottom end, where short tube large diameter pipe is better for top end. I'm talking 3-1 here, not V8 tri-Y vs 4-1.

However, cheap extractors are generally made with the incorrect sized primary for their design. Ideally, a good sized primary long tube is the best overall. On a V6, I'd recommend an 1 5/8" long tube design. The Hurricanes are this. Most manufacturers use 1 1/2" primary, while it's OK, it's not perfect. It all depends on why you want them and what mods you have.

Don't expect it be a rocket after fitting extractors though, it will gain a bit of acceleration, and make it sound a bit nicer, but your output will be about the same.

Oh sorry mate never saw ya reply!

Ahh i see, cheers mate :) well when i get a ful time apprenticeship, i may order some through ya :) im after more low end response :) and i have a 2 1/2" catback with a single muffler, thats all i know about it haha :)

Arrowtron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S II
I have pacemaker extractors on my VX S II with a red back 2.5" exhaust (using mid muffler and rear resonator) and e100 high flow cat and it sounds very good.
I'm not sure of the power gains i have got from those modifications as I haven't got the chance to get back on the dyno since i dyno'd the car when it was stock (114.2rwkw).

Have a look through my vids, got plenty of recordings if your interested
Arrowtron User - YouTube Uploads

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
I have pacemaker extractors on my VX S II with a red back 2.5" exhaust (using mid muffler and rear resonator) and e100 high flow cat and it sounds very good.
I'm not sure of the power gains i have got from those modifications as I haven't got the chance to get back on the dyno since i dyno'd the car when it was stock (114.2rwkw).

Have a look through my vids, got plenty of recordings if your interested
Arrowtron User - YouTube Uploads

cheers mate ill have a look, was thinking along the lines of hurricanes as suggested above or redback as they're around $150 cheaper, and i assume wouldn't be much if any different..
and did you notice much difference in throttle response?

Arrowtron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S II
yeah i guess its all about the combinations of different exhausts and brands that give you slightly different sounds to an exhaust system :s

ya bit better throttle response and accelerates a bit better through the revs then the stock exhaust system

you should notice a improvement in 0-100km/h times though :) around the 7.8s - 8.3s mark i reckon, depending whats in the car

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
yeah i guess its all about the combinations of different exhausts and brands that give you slightly different sounds to an exhaust system :s

ya bit better throttle response and accelerates a bit better through the revs then the stock exhaust system

you should notice a improvement in 0-100km/h times though :) around the 7.8s - 8.3s mark i reckon, depending whats in the car

Yeah thats true, just want a better note/more accel so i think extractors are a good way to go :) cheers for the help guys :)

And it'd be just the extractors and catback thats in it haha

slippergypsy221

Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY S
im in the same boat, my vx wagon completely stock (performance wise) and was looking at extractors for sound and because ive been told by a few people they can suck build ups out of you combustion chamber, and my car always seems like it has a lot of build up after driving it hard for a night (not flat lining all the way through) as i can feel a glugging for a few days afterwards, so i think that extractors will help pull some of that stuff out...maybe, mainly just in it for the sound and a extra bit of push at the start isnt a bad bonus, just wondering what to get..i read through and ive searched up redbacks and theyre a bit pricey but i think its what i want, is there a cheaper alternative (i dont mind a loss of that extra kick at the start)