Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 extractors using the standard catalytic converter

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
Going to give the V6 a set of extractors and yes I know from advise of guys in here that theirs no real gains but I'm going to anyways.
Question is which manufacturer makes the best ceramic coated extractor for the V6 and can they be fitted using the standard catalytic converter configuration (maybe weld in a couple of flanges on the extractor and converter ends) for easy fitting and disassembly.
Have Googled this and tried the internal search but so confused.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Going to give the V6 a set of extractors and yes I know from advise of guys in here that theirs no real gains but I'm going to anyways.
Question is which manufacturer makes the best ceramic coated extractor for the V6 and can they be fitted using the standard catalytic converter configuration (maybe weld in a couple of flanges on the extractor and converter ends) for easy fitting and disassembly.
Have Googled this and tried the internal search but so confused.
ld recommend pacemaker extractors. There's no reason why you can't put fact cats on. Ive done this to a ls1, the hwy fuel usage 8.9 litres to 100 km and heavy trafic about 14 litres to 100 km. You will have a better flowing exhaust with extractors but you might not notice a tourq/power increase as it may only increase by 10 kwt for example on a stocky but it will be a increase in my experience.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just about all extractors will come with a loose set of flange plates to weld to the Y pipe so it bolts to the extractors. Wildcat do a set with slip joins so you don't need a welder at all.

Any extractor will improve acceleration and highway economy, but the question you need to ask is will a $500 set give you an extra $200 worth of improvement over a $300 set? The answer is no. So buy what you can afford, yes, Pacemaker are good, but on a street car you will not feel any difference between them and a cheap set. Fitment is the biggest issue, the cheaper you go the harder they are to fit and most times need modifying.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Just about all extractors will come with a loose set of flange plates to weld to the Y pipe so it bolts to the extractors. Wildcat do a set with slip joins so you don't need a welder at all.

Any extractor will improve acceleration and highway economy, but the question you need to ask is will a $500 set give you an extra $200 worth of improvement over a $300 set? The answer is no. So buy what you can afford, yes, Pacemaker are good, but on a street car you will not feel any difference between them and a cheap set. Fitment is the biggest issue, the cheaper you go the harder they are to fit and most times need modifying.
If you consider how long the extractor will last and the modification cost to a cheaper pair id look for the better quality assured fitment. I have herd of cheaper ys cracking prematurely also burning out quick due to the material quality/ thickness.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Having sold and fitted hundreds of sets of extractors, I have seen Pacemaker, HM and Genie crack just as often as cheaper ones. Never had a set prematurely burn out. Issues arise when they have been heat wrapped as this traps moisture and will cause metal fatigue.