Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] V6 Heavy duty clutches

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Hey guys,

I'm getting a manual conversion for my car, but while it's out I'm going to get a heavy duty clutch with a single plate flywheel conversion.

What brands are there besides Exedy, and where can I get them for around what price?

At the moment all I've found is "GMK-7353SMFHD" Which is the Heavy duty + Single plate flywheel for VY V6.

Is there others I should look into that will do good? (I'm not looking for a mega good clutch, as it's not going to go over something like 250RWKW.. well not planned anyway)

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
That exedy model you've listed is what's in mine. I'd definitely recommend it. I got it for approx 900 from memory.
For a standard strength getrag box, I wouldn't recommend going any heavier than this or you may find the gearbox becomes the weak point on hard shifts, rather than the clutch. Personally it rather change a clutch every 30,000kms than a replacement gearbox.
Cheers

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
I can't remember what my mechanic put in mine, fairly sure it's an exedy, I've been really happy with it.
It's been in for nearly a year now, done about 35,000 kays and still feels as tight as it did the day I got it back.
It does have a bit of shudder under load at low revs (900 - 1200) but I burnt the stock one out in 6 months.
Definitely worth it :)

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Bit of shudder? Meh, the car is lowered, on 20's with a cam.. Everything shudders when you're moving or not haha!

We'll see how it goes, like i said the main purpose is to stall take off @ 3000-3500RPM.. well try find the perfect point for cam kick in but not spin.. which is going to be hard haha.

Commotion

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WRX
I second NPC. i burnt out my excedy button clutch after 6months. got a new clutch disc and NPC modified the pressure plate to be the same as their off the shelf units. The pedal was lighter and didnt shudder when riding the clutch. it took quite a lot of abuse. 3rd gears is the one that blows on the T5 where the teeth usually get ripped off 2nd gear with the getrags. i didnt have too many dramas with 350odd rwhp as long as i was sensible. did a couple of runs at the drags with slicks which made first gear a lil noisy but gearbox still lasted a few months before the car was sold. new owner wrecked the gearbox pretty quickly.