Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v6 in ford

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
vztrt said:
They've always used the I6, now with the 6sp auto it's actually very fuel efficient.
The I6 is still developed in this country (down in Geelong) and will be there for a few more years as Ford got a government grant to get the car to Euro 4emmision standards (Holden didn't get the same grant). The I6 is considered to be a better balanced engine and seems (from experience) a smoother engine when accelerating.
Remember BMW dont have a V6 but they also believe FWD is evil!!

Ford does have V6's courier and escape.

FWD is evil.....evil i tell you. IMO. i hate torque steer.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
bangers said:
FWD is evil.....evil i tell you. IMO. i hate torque steer.

lol, Hence why BMW do not have one FWD car. Even there latest little hatch is RWD.
I'd be pretty sure that there AWD cars will be RW AWD (like the territory's).

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
BA = 182kw and 380nm, 4-speed auto all round
BF = 190Kw and bout 384nm, revised 4-speed auto all round, with ZF 6-speed option.
Basically a VY to a VZ sorta thing

Last edited:

chopsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2/ Original XRGT
I was in a Holden dealership the other day getting my cai and the custormor before was having a grat old chat to the parts bloke.He was talking about some new car Ford are bringing out he said if you go to a dealer to order on its a 6month waiting list.It's apprantly called an xr5 and it's based on the ford focus he said it's a 5 cyl turbo engine made buy volvo or something and he said that it's 245kw engine

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
chopsy said:
I was in a Holden dealership the other day getting my cai and the custormor before was having a grat old chat to the parts bloke.He was talking about some new car Ford are bringing out he said if you go to a dealer to order on its a 6month waiting list.It's apprantly called an xr5 and it's based on the ford focus he said it's a 5 cyl turbo engine made buy volvo or something and he said that it's 245kw engine

Yeah it's been on Top Gear. It's probably the only small car i'd buy or be seen in. It is a volvo turbo engine and it flies. Good looking too, way better than the Holden Viva (daewoo) and the barina, and all the korean crap.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Volvo 2.5-litre turbo five-cylinder Duratec ST engine
166kW and 320Nm
0 -100 in 6.8 with two passengers and a tank of fuel or as low as 6.3 in other tests.
Price = $35995

HSV have a 176kW VXR Astra (turbo) that will be priced under $43,000 due out soon. I hadn't heard about it before.

T

Turko

Haha. My Old man has a Ford Ed Straight 6. And i can agree they are very strong motors. My dad blew the Headgasket on it he drove around with it like that for almost 6 months. He then decided it's time to get it fixed. The car didnt crack the head or anything which was amazing.
He always Pays out on my Brothers VL Turbo calling it a peice of shi't. Saying his Ford is better Haha.
He has had the car for many years now. Runs dual Fuel. Has no balls what so ever but it still runs. I'll give it that

Last edited by a moderator:

Rmyers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EA falcon
MBS206 said:
Ford having more power?

Go compare the I6 of one year, to the Holden V6 of the same year. Holden has ALWAYS been ahead, until the BA came out that is

Ok lets compare shall we...

1988 EA = 139kw - 1988 VN = 125kw
1992 EB = 148kw - 1991 VP = 127kw
1993 ED = 148kw - 1993 VR = 130kw
1994 EF = 157kw - 1995 VS = 145kw
1996 EL = 157kw - 1997 VT = 147kw
1998 AU = 157kw - 2000 VX = 152kw
2002 BA = 182kw - 2002 VY = 152kw
2005 BF = 190kw - 2004 VZ = 175kw

So tell me again how the V6's were always ahead of the I6's???

F

foammedia

Now try that again, with power to weight, I can't do them all right now but I'll start it off budget model vs budget model

EA Falcon 10.71 : 1kg/kW : VN Commodore 10.49 : 1kg/kW
Commodore wins and that's close but that's with an underated factory power figure and prolly kills it on torque vs weight

p.s all Commdores came with the same motor, where very few EA Falcons got the 139kw job so the average VN is going to be massive faster than the average EA, not that I have anything against Fords or Falcons