Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 new balance shaft bearings?

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
Hey guys, so I'm pulling the engine out of my ute to rebuild it later this week and will be doing nearly everything on it.

I want to keep the balance shaft and replace its bearings as well as the camshaft bearings.
If possible also the gears on the front.

Where do I get balance shaft bearings and do I need GMs special tools to do them?

I should say i have googled for them but not getting any results just people talking about deleting the shaft.

Also do I need a special cam bearing tool as well? I expect yes.

I have rebuilt a couple engines but never done cam or balance bearings.

Trans will be separated from engine as is a S1 buick so will be doing the rear main with the crank out.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Balance shaft bearings you should be able to do easily enough, the front one is a deep grove roller bearing type and the rear and needle roller bearing, just use something of the correct diameter to punch it out and tap in a new one. The front one comes out with the balance shaft which you should then be able to change on the bench with a press etc.

Cam bearings are a bit harder, most leave those to machine shops as they can be easy to stuff up

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Hey guys, so I'm pulling the engine out of my ute to rebuild it later this week and will be doing nearly everything on it.

I want to keep the balance shaft and replace its bearings as well as the camshaft bearings.
If possible also the gears on the front.

Where do I get balance shaft bearings and do I need GMs special tools to do them?

I should say i have googled for them but not getting any results just people talking about deleting the shaft.

Also do I need a special cam bearing tool as well? I expect yes.

I have rebuilt a couple engines but never done cam or balance bearings.

Trans will be separated from engine as is a S1 buick so will be doing the rear main with the crank out.
I'd take the old balance shaft bearings to an industrial bearing supplier and ask for replacements from one of the quality suppliers like Timken, NSK, FAG etc.

I get my bearings from the local CBC Australia bearing shop.