Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 stroker

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
sircruisealotVS said:
sixshooter, one thing i overlooked commenting about on your post was the use of boost on the stroker. admittedly if i tryed putting a s/c or turbo on my setup id likely run-a-mischief because its setup for n/a and has a high compression.
if you were to setup the stroker for blown applications you would use different parts (in particular the rods and pistons), o-ring the block and use a copper head gasket...C.O.M.E. claim their forced induction stroker setup is able to handle up to 20psi (some serious boost!)...so i dont know about what you've heard and whether there's any truth behind it, but it can be done....

Yeah sircruisealotVS I've just read about it along time ago...it kinda stuck in my head...it's all to do with the increased distance the conrod bigend travels on a larger radius and the angles it generates with the rod at 90 & 270 degree's that increases loads on the sides of the piston...it's better to bore out a force fed motor than to stroke it to get extra capacity... I just remember reading about that somewhere in some old car magazine...might see if I can find something about it on the net.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Ahhh how old is that post. The entire point to that post was made in the one sentence which you obviously ignored:
1991_Vn2nV said:
A V8 is gonna have more potential for maximum power of course, but most people dont want a pro drag car, just something thats quick enough for a few street drags that will shame jap crap turbo 4's and beat a stock V8. Plus there are all the advantages of cheaper insurance, petrol etc.
^That was the point. I love V8's and my next car will be a V8, but not everyone wants a V8. I have a V6 because its much easier as an 18 year old to pay for petrol and insurance on my V6 than if I had a V8 at the moment. My plan has always been to buy a V8 after I turn 21 for insurance reasons, but until then I'll stick with my V6 and modify that. Sure I wont be running 12's down the quarter, but I'll beat the jap crap turbo's and stock SS commodores that I come up against.

As for the chev powered monaro comment greenfoam, my best mates dad had a GTS 350 (HG I think?) and it didnt seem that mind blowingly fast... They're meant to be 0-100 in 8.0 seconds flat, 1/4 in 15.9 seconds and I dont think it woulda been much quicker than that... Plus I dont think a 350 chev actually had 224kw... I think if measured by todays standards it would be substantially lower.

Dont get me wrong, incredibly awesome cars and I would kill for one and yes they are faster than a stock VN/VP as I have already said, but the fact remains they are 40 years old now and I doubt they are capable of the times they ran when new 40 years down the track and in that 40 years engines came a long way and with a few modifications I do believe a VN/VP will give an old 350 a run for its money.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
sixshooter said:
it's better to bore out a force fed motor than to stroke it to get extra capacity... I just remember reading about that somewhere in some old car magazine...might see if I can find something about it on the net.

Well I need to kick my own ass this time for disinformation... I got it wrong it's better to stroke than bore a blown motor...due to increases in cylinder pressures of a blown motor being more likely to split the bores if the walls are too thin (ie. overbored block):thumbsup:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
lol, oh well...we all make mistakes sixshooter

chook231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 UTE
sixshooter said:
Well I need to kick my own ass this time for disinformation... I got it wrong it's better to stroke than bore a blown motor...due to increases in cylinder pressures of a blown motor being more likely to split the bores if the walls are too thin (ie. overbored block):thumbsup:

rb30et are only normally overbored ?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
just thought id mention to all who are interested in the power im making in the stroker....that ill be entering it into a dyno comp this month, so ill eventually have some figures to post up.
im hopefull that i will come at least come close to taking out the n/a v6 section of the comp...but on that note, can anyone think of a n/a v6 that would be a contender? all cars entering the comp have to be road registered (thus, no nos used)...i cant think of much myself, most people chuck a s/c on a v6, so there's not alot of high power n/a v6's around.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
seriously..any ideas guys? im trying to think of what ill be up against.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I don't think they will have a seperate section for V6's and Straight 6's they don't normally. So you will be up against Fords, RB's Nissan V6s, Holden 6 and maybe your worst nightmare if someone brings a 400hp Hemi 6 you might as well go home:p.

I can't see a 202 making much more than 150-160rwkw but the Ford 4 liters and worse the Hemis are trouble makers in 6 cylinder dyno comps. I think you would need 190rwkw ++ if you wanted to be 90% sure of winning a NA V6 only dyno comp but you never know what people might pull out their sheds on dyno days.

Also I forgot one car you don't want to see on a V6 only dyno day and that's a Honda NSX :p

Last edited:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hmmm, food for though, cheers foamy.
im not too sure of whats around here in the way of n/a 6's...not too much from what ive heard from people, so i dont think ill have much competition (the real big classes will be turbo 4's&6's and turbo rotor's).
i just had a look at the specs for the nsx (a possibility of one being there i would imagine) and i should give a stock-ish one a good run...we shall see anyway.

A

AdamIan69

Hey sircruise u needa take ur V6 down the 1/4 mile i heared they are good for some where in the 13s. Did COME tell you how much power the N/A stroked setup was good for(Can Handle).