Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 supercharged and LPG

whipple v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu v6 ute
+1 LPG injection. I run a Impco-BRC Sequent Plug & Drive vapour injection system (aftermarket version of the factory VE setup) and have had no issues. After having an old mixer setup previously (on the same car) there's no way i would consider anything less than injected. Vapour is fine, even though liquid is nice it's more expensive and not as many installers fit it, although that's changing.
hi, I have a v6 3800 supercharged om mixer lpg, just getting a vapor set up on now .will let you all know how it goes

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I thought the rage these days was liquid lpg injection.

Such would be more beneficial in a turbo or supercharged installation. Reason being, as the liquid transitions to a gas, when injected, it absorbs large amounts of heat thus cooling the intake mixture :cool:

You simply can’t get the same cooling effect via vapour injection :oops:

Ps: I should add I’ve got no idea of the cost difference between old style lpg converter, lpg gas injection or lpg liquid injection systems.

M

mwb235

After going from mixer to vapour on the VT L67 in 2010, sadly i ended up writing it off in late 2013. Got a VE with the standard V6 (LY7) and fitted the Orbital liquid system in 2014 a week before the govt rebates ended. Best aftermarket system i'd had by far. It was brilliant.

I had an FG MkII lpi for a couple of years (its liquid system was also brilliant) then got my current VF V6 (LFX). I haven't bothered fitting gas to my VF as i decided it's not worth it anymore, plus the long term availability of autogas in Australia is uncertain.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I had a mate of mine who bought at 2002 VXII Calais, that was a L67 and on LPG,
And it actually ran ok, when it got to Normal Operating Temp
But when it was a cold start, it started on Petrol,
and when its got up to certain temp, it would automatically switch over to LPG,
The engine would run rough for a split second, and you could see the Gas indicator would indicate what it was running on.

But for the sake of the thread, LPG is on its way out, as there is not much call for it now,
there are stations still selling it, but not as many as there was.
Keeping in mind, its not that efficient at 50% of the cost of petrol,
Also, you are unable to use 100% of the LPG you are carrying,
eg: you can only use 80% of 90 Litres [equates to 72 Litres being 90L was the average size of the Standard Gas Tank they were installing back then].

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Only reason they not as popular is because the scheme finished, back when you only paid 500- 600 for the conversion with the 2k rebate there was months waiting to have it fitted they even ran low on gas cylinders, its just not worth it now as lpg is a rip off, i remember when i only paid 13c a litter now they are just profiting out of it not to mention the 30c tax on top per liter.

Duel fuel all start on petrol as it wouldn't start on gas when cold unless you crank it for 20-30 seconds, make your coolant hoses short as possible for the mixer so they get up to temp faster, also make sure all your electrics are in good shape gas needs a higher spark compare to fuel, and change your leads and plugs to operate on gas. LPG uses about 10% more the petrol but hay i rather feel my 72L tank for around 47 bucks than paying 110 for petrol.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ LPG liquid injection has no such cold start issues. The Ford LPi system simply primes the LPG line by running the pump and the engine then simply fires away.

Can’t disagree with the view LPG has become a rip off for Aussie motorists. Meanwhile our government makes less for the exported LPG/CNG while the Japanese government makes more money in import taxes for our gas :mad: It’s all crazy and can only be explained away by multinationals rather than our government being in charge :oops:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Lpg is incredibly affordable here in vic. More so now than any other time in the past 10 years. It’s more than a full dollar per litre cheaper than petrol. Currently 59C for lpg and 1.71C for 91.

After the rebate stopped the demand for lpg steadily declined. LPG is produced during the petroleum refining process, and so I don’t believe the supply will have changed much, hence the lower price.

On vapor injection the economy is much the same, in my case approx 1L /100km more on lpg.

As for the original question, yes you can run lpg on forced induction without issue. Although it reaches its limits at around 180-200kw for most vehicles and petrol addition is required which is no big deal.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Lpg is incredibly affordable here in vic. More so now than any other time in the past 10 years. It’s more than a full dollar per litre cheaper than petrol. Currently 59C for lpg and 1.71C for 91.

After the rebate stopped the demand for lpg steadily declined. LPG is produced during the petroleum refining process, and so I don’t believe the supply will have changed much, hence the lower price.

On vapor injection the economy is much the same, in my case approx 1L /100km more on lpg.

As for the original question, yes you can run lpg on forced induction without issue. Although it reaches its limits at around 180-200kw for most vehicles and petrol addition is required which is no big deal.
59c can you tell me where please cheapest in my area is 63.9, as for petrol 91 octane 126.9, 98 octane 144.9 and 95 is 133.9.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
as for petrol 91 octane 126.9, 98 octane 144.9 and 95 is 133.9.
lucky bastard we have to pay 12cpl more for 95 than we do 91. 7c is actually pretty good, because the extra economy would be around 7cpl, meaning the cost is the same as 91, for a better, cleaner fuel.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
lucky bastard we have to pay 12cpl more for 95 than we do 91. 7c is actually pretty good, because the extra economy would be around 7cpl, meaning the cost is the same as 91, for a better, cleaner fuel.
I think that's why our LPG is a little high so they can lower the cost of petrol.