Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs V8 engine weights

maddog

Mantis Motorsports
Reaction score
Website
maddog.zook.org
Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone might know this information of the top of their head, or be able to easily get it.

Need the weight of the following: (engine only, not incl. transmission)

Holden 3.8 out of VP
Holden 3.8 out of VS/VT (ecotech)
Holden 5.0
Holden 5.7

Your info is greatly appreicated.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
LS1 weighs in the 200kg mark

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I can also tell you that the 5.0L is heavier than the LS1 by about 30kg but i dont know the exact weight difference....It was 30 something kilo's anyway...perhaps 33kg? *shrugs* will try to find the direct quote

Theres sites around that state the advantages of the newer engines...but they only say how much lighter the engine is than previous rather than giving actual weights?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Heres the quote for the Ecotec to the Buick anyway:
"Although the stroke for the 3.8 L engine remained at 3.4 in (86 mm), and the bore remained at 3.8 in (97 mm), the engine architecture was vastly changed. The piston connecting rods were 1 in (25 mm) shorter, so the crankshaft was redesigned. A new intake manifold improved breathing, and a new cylinder head had larger valves. The result was 147 kW (198 hp) and 304NM, better fuel economy, and 12kg (26 lb) lighter overall weight."